Interior paints

Page 2 of 2
On 6/9/2012 7:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

If you've previously tried to just use a wall paint on ceiling, it's no wonder you're pleasantly surprised w/ a thicker paint. :)
There's a reason they make specific formulations for ceilings...
BM is pretty much like most all the rest--they have various quality levels to meet various price points and how well they work is mostly dependent on that price point.
They don't all go to the "cheapest-possible" in all markets, though--you'll find fewer of the really inexpensive things at the S-W/B-M/Dutch Boy/whichever distribution center than you will at the Ace/Wal Mart/BORG simply because they covering different market segments in large part. The latter get the whatever's the least cost on the shelf while they take the rest is a general rule (that doesn't hold for every customer but is a trend).
At a moderate-price point, I've always been very well satisfied w/ the better of the Glidden products. We're in a very small market and there's only the S-W store as a dedicated outlet here and when was doing the barn they and the alternatives (DoIt Best/Ace/etc.) weren't interested in either (a) getting in large quantities special w/o extra charges or (b) significant discounts for volume. So, ended up going the 60+ mi to the Orange BORG and used the Behr premium oil-primer/latex finish and was/have been quite pleased w/ it as well. Was first time to have used Behr but I'd not hesitate again based on experience w/ it, some 80 gal primer and 50 of finish coat later.
That was exterior but I'd take the chance on interior as well based on that experience.
So, there's cheap BM, and moderate, and expensive? I'd guess the expensive BM goes on thicker, and looks better? As with most things. If you really want a good job, you need to pay more for your top of the line BM.
If you've previously tried to just use a wall paint on ceiling, it's no wonder you're pleasantly surprised w/ a thicker paint. :)
There's a reason they make specific formulations for ceilings...
BM is pretty much like most all the rest--they have various quality levels to meet various price points and how well they work is mostly dependent on that price point.
On 6/9/2012 9:34 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, for interior water-cleanup only excluding ceiling, bath and kitchen, tint-base and floor-specific products there are 16 interior paint product listings for B-M. This doesn't include the myriad of finishes, etc., etc., within each product line.
So, yes, they have a full range of products to cover the market and price points. As with all manufacturers, just because it says a particular brand on the label doesn't mean a whole lot as far as what the contents are.

I've always used ceiling paint for ceilings. And if you look at Benjamin Moore Regal, I didn't see any difference in the thickness of their wall paint versus the ceiling paint. Both are thick, so thick I had to think them down slightly. No back spatter from either.

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 06:24:56 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

makes it easier to paint white-on-white. It also tends to be a starker white ("super white") than wall paint.
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 05:58:09 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Yep. I've been using BMoore for a couple of decades. It's well worth the extra money just in ease of application. It takes me a few hours to go through a gallon of paint. The extra $5 or $10 is cheap. Every time I try a different brand I kick myself (which I'll probably do again tomorrow - going to give the Behr self-priming a try in the garage).
On 6/9/2012 10:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

I'll reiterate the previous...it will mostly depend on using a similarly-targeted price point paint over the brand on the can.
If you go cheap Behr and try to claim that it's a bad paint and all Behr is bad in comparison to the B-M better levels it's just not a level-playing field.
Unfortunately, in such discussions as this, generally all that comes out is some knee-jerk reaction to a brand name without the qualification of which product in that line or comparison to another in another line.
I've even seen such indiscriminate mixing in Consumer Reports testing w/o their mentioning that not all of the tested paints were of the same general quality range/price.

Not in my experience. BM was *far* superior to everything I'd used before, at a similar price point.

...at the same price point.

I wouldn't bother with CR as parakeet cage lining.

Our current favorite is sherwin williams. They own duron now as well. A lot of contractors use duron.
Consider a "satin" which is less that a semi-gloss but more than a flat.
I have had very good success with Behr paint from Home Depot.
Unfortunately home Depot has installed beeping video monitors all thru my local stores for security purposes.
they are in the aisles with my picture beeping with red graphics YOU ARE BEING RECORDED.
Now I dont mind cameras all all. but I am 55 and look 65:( AND DONT WANT TO BE REMINDED OF THAT!!!
So I no longer buy anythinhg frohome depot. I now go to lowes......