Insurance claim....

Page 3 of 3

Existential Angst wrote:

Slate roof = BIG MONEY to repair because of the color (can be difficult to match slate depending on where it was quarried) and difficulty of working with it. Water damage under it is also not good because of the weight of the slate.
I would say get two-3 contractors in who DO slate roofs and see what they come up with for prices.
--
Steve W.

deal with the insurance company. He will get you more than you can ever get by dealing on your own even taking into consideration his fee. Also, have an understanding with the insurance company that what they give you may not be the full extent of the damage costs--get some estimates. I speak from experience-Failed upstairs toilet while away on vacation--got flooded and destroyed two bathrooms--first insurance company check was for $14,000 after their initial inspection of the damage--got a public adjuster--final bill paid by the insurance Co.-$25,000. Also, in the process of repair, if additional work has to be done in order to meet (new) code requirements most insurance policies will cover that additional expense--check yours. For example, I was required to have an exhaust fan and a separate GFI circuit in the bathroom in order to meet code-Insurance paid for this in full. Was having a tough time with the insurance co. but once the adjuster got involved all then went nice and smooth. MLD