Insurance claim....

Awl --

As some of you may know, the NY, NJ area got clobbered by a windstorm last week (75+ mph), after quite a snow storm a couple of weeks before. Damage was extensive, thousands of trees blown down, some people without electricity for a week. Imagine if the trees were fully leaved in the summer....

So the insurance adjuster finally came today, and just left, after **3 hours**, doing a very detailed survey, inside and out -- much more detailed than the roofing companies that came out -- and left me with a pile of papers and a check, for about $10K, about half of that for branch damage to the slate roof, the rest for inside water damage, A/C damage, other stuff.

The Q is:

What if the contractor prices come in, and exceed the insurance company estimates? What happens if damage is later encountered that the adjuster didn't see? Recourse? How to handle? War stories??

As a DIY-er, I don't know much about "real" prices, but the wife is already pissed, thinks it's way too low. I guess it's reasonable to assume that the insurance company bias is to lowball stuff.

And, I won't be DIY'ing most of this, that's f'sure, so any lowballing could really hurt.

Appreciate all input.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Usually when they offer that sort of thing they give you a form to sign saying that you're paid up, and you're not going to make any further claims.

Did you sign it?

If no, then you can just go back to them.

If you did, then you have to go before a judge and jury, and explain how it is that you're a smart guy _and_ you signed a contract that you didn't understand.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Seriously, what was the adjusters response when you asked him that question? He/she is the one who left you with the pile of papers and a check. What do the papers say? What instructions did the adjuster give you? If you didn't ask you should be contacting them to ask for clarification and how to proceed since they are your point of contact.

Reply to
George

First, make sure nothing on that check indicates that by cashing it you agree that it is payment in full and also hopefully you didn't sign anything to that effect. If you have any doubt, a quick consult with a lawyer is in order.

Then the next step is you go back to the insurance company showing them at least 3 quotes for the work and try to negotiate. I would have gotten the estimates BEFORE the adjuster showed up so you would know if his value was fair or not and been prepared to argue it right while he was there.

If damage is extensive, it can be helpful to have a contractor there at the same time as the adjuster. The adjuster can say it will take X to fix this and the contractor can say "but you forgot about Y and to do this right, I have to do Z. I've done that with a damaged car. I told the adjuster to go look at it at my autobody guy's shop. IMO, it's easier if the adjuster just agrees to it upfront instead of having to back down later.

Then you call up the insurance company and tell them. And take pictures as needed to document it. If it is legitimate damage that couldn't be seen at the time the adjuster was there, they should be willing to come back out, take a look, and include it.

Reply to
trader4

You made a rookie mistake. NEVER accept an insurance companies first offer.

Reply to
salty

My experience is, just like in an auto collision claim, if further damage is uncovered the adjuster will come back and reappraise his original estimate and give you the money to fix the newly uncovered damage.

Reply to
Sanity

Nope, didn't sign anything. Sort of wondering if I should even cash the check, as sometimes cashing a check can be construed as implicit acceptance of "the terms", offer, etc.

Should I haggle, or let the selected contractor haggle?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Document everything and fax it over to your adjuster. No at all uncommon.

Reply to
Master Betty

Well, true, I should read the papers, and will contact the company, but.... seriously..... Do you really think the ins. co is going to give me explicit tips on effective negotiating tactics, consumer rights, etc?

That's why I'm asking for real experiences/insights out there. I'm sure there's a lot written between the lines.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I don't look at an insurance adjuster as adversarial. They just have a job to do. Usually they are not trying to screw with you. If you're honest with them they'll usually be helpful with you. I ask my adjuster for recommendations on contractors so they can agree with the estimates. Still check referrals but the adjuster just wants the job done and over with just as bad as you do. Unless you have a history of fraudulent claims they still want you as a customer.

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

... and if it's just like an auto collision claim*, that answer only applies if it's a _good_ insurance company. So watch them like they're crooks, and act toward them like they're friends.

  • Dad's shop started out as a collision repair company -- some insurance companies are really good at taking care of their customers -- some aren't. We had one guy working for us for a while who sold out his shop & retired to working on classics for my dad. He liked to walk by Allstate offices with his hands cupped just like in the ads, catch the eye of the sales guy, then open his hands like he was dumping a formerly treasured object in the mud. You have one guess as to what he thought of "You're in good hands with Allstate."
Reply to
Tim Wescott

You are getting way ahead of yourself. You didn't even ask so you don't even have a clue what they are going to do for you. Make up a list of your concerns and call and ask for clarification. Everyone can play a guessing game as to what might be. Why not ask?

Reply to
George

The adjuster was actually a nice guy, brought up from NC to NY for the crush of claims. He basically measures, and plugs data into the his pyooter (incl his estimate of the labor time), and the pyooter cranks out a number based on a "local database", with rates presumably typical for the region. So, the issue is, what's really in the ins. company's database? And are his time estimates realistic?

I'm also concerned that since the adjuster didn't go up on a ladder (no mean feat for my roof, as the roof has some complexity to it), that some surprises are in the offing. My other concern is that once the roofer is up there, he's not going to want to hang around and wait for the adjuster to come back to dicker over new problems.

Mebbe the strategy for that is, now that at least I have the adjuster's estimate, is to MAKE SURE the roofers go up on a ladder to scope things out accurately, so they can dicker before they actually start work.

As far as contractor recs, the company gave us a pisspoor list, just 1 out of 4 being local. I drummed up some others, so we'll see what happens.

As far as wanting people for customers, there are a number of major insurance companies that do not write policies in NYS, poss. even NJ -- at least as of a cupla years ago, when I was shopping around. wow.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

I'd see what the contractors bids are first. The last two times I was given a check, the actual costs came in under what their computer said it would. If under, don't rock the boat.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I hate those bastardswith a passion . Dicked me around for five years , I ended up with less than ten grand and a lower back that'll hurt for the rest of my life . And I had to fight tooth and nail to get that much .

Reply to
Snag

I had a similar experience last year after a hurricane took a part of my roof off. I had the State Farm adjuster come by and survey the damage. A few days later I got the estimate. In the meantime, I was told of a local independent adjuster that works for you. I called and he came by a did his survey. His inspection uncovered much more damage then the State Farm adjuster. He contacted State Farm and they met at my house and together they did a walk around to see who was right. State Farm sent me a corrected estimate it was several thousand dollars more. They agreed with everything my adjuster found. My adjuster charged a flat fee and it was reasonable. Check it out...

Reply to
Chuck

Since there was so much damage and resultant claims, you may well have gotten what is known as a "cat" adjuster, "cat" meaning catastrophe.

Those guys aren't employed by the insurance company, they work for an independent company or companies. The companies are compensated by the insurance company according to the size of the claim - the bigger the claim, the more they are paid - and the individual adjusters receive a portion of the that. Believe me, they do all they can to *increase* the amount of the claim.

Reply to
dadiOH

That sounds like the kind of advice the OP requested. Very kind of you to share.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You MAY not get the full value of some things..Like a 10 year old AC unit or a 20 year old roof..It will be pro rated..Unless like me you have REPLACEMENT insurance wihich is a bit more costly but no worries...HTH...

Reply to
benick

Hold off on cashing the check until you see what the estimates come in at, and then plan on at least a 10% increase over the estimates.

Reply to
hrhofmann