insulation

My Friends, What do you think of this idea? I live in an old frame house with no insulation . My understanding is that insulating the floor of the attic is the most important because the heat will try to rise and escape. So if I were to insulate between the floor joists of the cieling on the ground floor would this be a good way to slow down the heat so that I could toasty downstairs and upstairs where the bedrooms are would be heated by the heat which escaped from downstairs.
Thanks,
John
?
You'd just insulate the attic. If you want, you can close off some regusters upstairs, since it's ok to sleep where it's coller.
John & / or Maryln wrote:

Hmmm, Ceiling under the roof(attic space) is most critical area for insulation. Where I live it is R60 up there. Walls are R20 minimum. That's code. Today it's -20 C with snow flakes flying in the air.
John & / or Maryln wrote:

Would have some effect if only heat the lower floor, possibly, but certainly not the most efficient/cost-effective use of your insulating budget.
Would be far more effective overall to use that insulation in the second-floor ceiling or the attic. If it's a frame house as you indicate, it's relatively easy and inexpensive to have blown-in insulation retrofitted to the walls as well, and if you're anywhere that has more than a bare-minimum wintery-type climate, almost guaranteed to have a pretty short-term payoff period.
Check w/ your local utility company -- many still have cost-share programs for energy conservation which can make a significant contribution to the initial cost and provide both energy assessments and/or financing options.
IOW, I think you need a more overall approach than what you've proposed.
Before you add the insulation be sure to seal your home envelope otherwise the insulation will function more as an air filter and its insulating value will be diminshed -- if you don't stop the air flow. See: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_sealing and print out the pdf book you find there on envelope sealing.