Installing wood fence and keeping existing chain link

We had a reputable fencing company install our beautiful new wood fencing with a footprint that was inside the existing chain link fence perimeter by about 12". We believe that the chain link is either owned by the county (it is adjacent to an access road) or the neighbors, so it was easier just to leave it there. The fence company installed the fence "good side in" which was against code in my county. They also neglected to secure a permit. We received a citation, and now need to have the fence turned around. But, the fence company claims they cannot put the good side out and still attach the planks to the posts due to the existing chain link. I guess there isn't enough room to get in between and nail it in place. Has anyone had experience with this? I need to get it corrected, and I'm thinking that we may have to remove the chain link somehow or bring the whole thing in another foot in order to get this accomplished. Either way, it doesn't sound like an easy fix.
Thanks in advance.

You must be very young. Did it occur to you to contact the town and research the ownership of the chain link fence? You say it might belong to the neighbor, but did you speak to them about it? Where were you when the new fence was being installed incorrectly?
Thank you. It did occur to me. I'm old enough to know that I am not as well educated on the issue of county codes as the professionals I hire to know better. I also didn't know it was against the code until I received the citation. The county said it's probably their fence at least along the back of the property. They apparently don't know either.

But, whose property is on the other side of the fence? The county's, or the neighbor's? If it's the neighbor's, and they don't care about the old fence, it might be a breeze to have it removed, which would make the wooden fence mess MUCH easier to correct.

Three other thoughts:
- You said "reputable", but they didn't get a permit. That negates the word "reputable".
- Did you have a plan for dealing with weed growth in the 12" space, which is now inaccessible? You could douse it regularly with weed killer, but that's a lousy idea.
- You will probably have to start over, and if the posts are set in cement, it's going to be expensive. Prepare to meet the contractor in court, unless you choose one that is reputable.
Reputable - as in having a good reputation. They are a large and long-standing company. If they are not fully aware of the county codes for the industry and area they've been working in for over 2 decades then something is wrong.
The county already deals with the weed growth along the fence line by "dousing it regularly with weed killer" and using a weed wacker. Again, it's not our fence.
Rolling up the fencing may be an alternative... thanks for the input.

Well, obviously, something is wrong. I've never gotten a major construction price quote without the person mentioning permits.

How do you expect them to use a weed wacker with only 12" between the chain link fence and your new one? If the company truly is reputable they would not have put up a fence where it would create such an inaccessable area to maintain!
Mike D.
Why is it that everyone here is such an flaming jackass? I asked a simple question - if you can't answer that, don't post. You aren't helping anything.

Why do you think he's a jackass? Most chain link fences go right to the ground, or pretty close. That would interfere with weed eater machines.
You already explained that the fence company couldn't stand between the two fences to attach the panels correctly. If they can't work in between, how do you expect anyone else to do so?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, seeing as how your reputable fence company didn't get a permit, they might be able to do something else of questionable legality: unhook and roll up the chain link for the brief time they're redoing the fence, then roll it back out when they're done.

It may have the side benefit of finding out who the owner is. Ten minutes after taking down the fence, they will be screaming at you.