Installing new toilet- just removed old one- question about removing old wax ring.

I have already removed the old toilet and have stuffed a rag in the sewer opening. This is a toilet that has been in the house for the past 15 years... I have used a putty knife to remove the old wax ring - however there is still quite a bit there that is stuck in the crevices - must I remove all of the old wax ring? thanks KOS

Get out as much as you can, it does not need to be completely scraped off.

The new wax ring should be soft enough to solve any minor surface variations. I would make sure the new ring is at room temperature or a little bit warmer than that to make sure it is soft enough to fill all variations. They also make extra thickness wax rings if the flange in the floor is at or below the floor level that the toilet sits on. This is needed when the bathroom has been refloored or retiled so that the toilet is slightly raised above the flange.
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:32:05 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Flange extenders are also available, for raised floors.

Wax rings are old technology. Use a "waxless toilet seal" once andyou will never, ever look at a wax one again.
Harry K
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 21:03:10 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Also, toilets are old technology. Use a "toiletless waste disposer" once and you will never want to use a toilet again.
couldn't resist.

before you wax seal it: also run a snake down the commode base, hook an old hand towel on it, and pull it back up. this will dislodge and bring out and plastic spoon or popsicle stick obstructing the trap. if you need further toilet tips see the fluidmaster website.
buffalobill wrote:

I don't think OP was planning to reuse it, but that is a nice thing to do before you drop it off and Habitat ReStore or whatever.
--
aem sends...