Installing Gutter Screen -Over/Under roof shingle?

I am thinking about installing gutter screens on my gutters. I've read several conflicting pieces of advice on how to install them on the side closest to the roof. Is it better to tuck/adhere the side closest to the roof under the shingles or lay the gutter screen flat on top of the shingles? I'd appreciate any advice.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I put mine under the shingles - my thought was that if I put them over them on top of the shingle they would catch debris at the edge of the screen and they could lift and defeat the purpose. I used the slightly rounded metal screens first and then switched to the flat plastic type about a year later as the slight trough the metal screens had at the rise seemed to hold leaves and acorns. Also, the plastic screens were way easier to work with.
Laurie
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I believe they are installed under. However I suggest the before you make that decision, that you check around with neighbors who have situations like your (same type of trees etc.) and have installed like systems. Many people find that while the style screens that may work fine in a different area (different plants) are a real pain when they get them installed, making cleaning more difficult and not eliminating the need to clean.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Jun 25, 10:10 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mine are supposed to be installed under the shingles. But I installed them over the shingles because the shingles in my house are old and fragile, and I didn't want to work on them too much. The downside is that the squirrels jumping on the gutter may cause the gutter to lift up. Moreover, leaves and debris will still find their way into the gutter through the gap where the gutter meets the roof (the gap is there because neither the roof nor the gutter are perfectly straight).
If I had a choice, I would have installed them under the shingles.
By the way, you can spray water through the metal wire mesh screen type of gutter to clean the gutter because the wire is thin enough that the water can get through easily. In fact that is how I clean the gutter in area that the squirrels haven't lifted up the gutter.
Jay Chan