In a normal pool, does anything *mix* the water to aid the filter?

Page 3 of 3
On 7/5/2013 3:20 AM, Danny D. wrote:

I never check the levels right after a shock but I've never register any level above 7ppm. Probably is real high right after shocking.
I'd say anything above 5 ppm could cause skin irritation, eyes burning and maybe hair becoming brittle and washed out. You've heard of bleached out hair. I don't know how caustic it is to equipment but it could cause your gaskets and o-rings to wear out quicker. Breaking down the lube on fittings.
On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 05:19:47 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Hmmmm.... I, and others swim with open eyes, and none of that has ever happened in my pool to my knowledge, to people.
As for the equipment ... who knows ... maybe.
When I had looked it up, I couldn't find any real evidence of problems, but, again, that was a while ago.
On 7/5/2013 8:48 AM, Danny D. wrote:

Well...you know what bleach can do right?
At levels that high I get skin irritation and I'm not that sensitive. I use eye protection but the kids eyes get red. I try to get them to wear goggles, but you know kids.
3ppm is adequate and anything over that isn't effective anyway. But, it's America and you can use more if it makes you happy. I'm just glad you don't backwash into a field like I do.

In some systems, if you don't backwash the filter often enough, the pressure builds up (at least with a Kreepy Krawley) doesn't work as well. Have you backwashed recently?
On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:48:31 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm no expert but I don't think you backwash the cartridge filters. But I did hose the filters down about a month ago so they're clean.

You're right. I lost that part in the meandering of the thread. To quote Emily Lutella: "Never mind".
On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 06:36:58 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren,
Oh no! I wish you had mentioned that a month ago ... as I *do* have a plugged-off vacuum line in the center of the pool:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3714/9210688368_bb6320eff2_z.jpg
Apparently they put them in when they build the pool, but the pipe is plugged off where it comes up at the pump equipment:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/9210688448_7cc92649f4_z.jpg
Too bad I hadn't thought of this when I was replumbing my filter pump, as I would liked to have worked in a hookup to the filter!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/9207907433_97d61036fe_z.jpg
PS: I'm new to Flickr, so, I'm not sure how to tell you to link to the larger pictures.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3672/9210688448_c7af185a01_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7290/9207907433_f41ddddc9b_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7410/9210688634_95387e15df_o.jpg
Maybe these work? http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9210688448/sizes/o/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9207907433/sizes/z/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9210688634/sizes/z/in/photostream/
On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 07:11:42 -0700, Oren wrote:

Hi Oren, It was hard to see in my picture as the camera was above water, but the side wall unused vacuum port isn't plugged at all. It's got a nice female thread, about 1.5 inches or maybe 2 inches in diameter (probably whatever the standard size is). http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9210688368/sizes/o/in/photostream/
It's unseen, but, the plumbing, almost certainly, goes from that side wall female fitting to the unused vertical pipe at the pool equipment. It's really hard to see in my picture, but, that 3'foot vertical pipe has an inline Jandy valve, and then the top is simply plugged with a cap: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/9210956256/sizes/o/in/photostream/
So, all I'd need to do (I think) is cut off the cap, and plumb into the 1.65HP (net) filterpump.
You can see in that picture above that I already have three Jandy valves on the filter pump inlet side, so I'm guessing I don't even need to add an additional Jandy valve to the four that would exist on the inlet side of the filter pump were I to connect the vacuum to the filter pump (via a "T"?).
If the 1.65 HP motor is too much for a vacuum, I guess I could adjust the Jandy valves so that, say, half the water is coming from the main drain & spa, while the other half is coming from the vacuum port (or whatever ratio makes sense).
I'm kicking myself for not having added a "T" fitting into the filter pump setup - but I could still add that as I think I only need PVC plumbing and nothing else.
You guys make me glad I do NOT have a pool!!!!!