Diatomaceous earth versus Cellulose for pool filter (2023 Update)

Has anyone used the Cellulose replacement for Diatomaceous earth in their pool filter? Local pool store has bags of the stuff. Very light, supposedly cheaper and biodegradable.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Diatomaceous earth is ground limestone (calcium carbonate.) Other filters use sand (silicates). Many other materials are suitable for filtering pool water.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:iqf5pd$o6d$4 @speranza.aioe.org:

It's actually not limestone at all.

I first read about Diatomaceous Earth in Hatcher's Notebook, where author Julian Hatcher details how it was used as the stabilizing base for the nitroglycerin in dynamite.

Reply to
Tegger

The stuff is like talcum powder, very fine and comes very dry. It dries out insects.

Greg

Reply to
zek

I've seen the bags of cellulose that are an alternative to DE, but never tried it. One big problem is that at least here at the stores I've seen it at in NJ it's priced at a significant premium to DE. I also don't get the "it's biodegradable" part being an advantage. I just backwash the DE out onto the lawn and it disperses and disappears. DE is actually used in some cases as a soil ammendment.

In short, DE works, is cheaper, is what the DE filter specs call for, etc. About the only reason I can think of to try it is that with DE I get a little bit of it that gets through the filter somehow and after a few days becomes noticeable on the white steps. That might also be because the filter is now 5+ years old and due for replacement soon. But I wondered if the cellulose would be better in that regard.

Reply to
trader4

You've probably got a hole worn thru one or more of your filter grid fabric. Mine went over 15 years before holes started wearing thru. The replacements don't seem to last nearly as long, maybe 5 years. The fabric is pretty much the only thing that can wear out other then the plastic supports breaking.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Your grids have a tear or are not properly seated. My DE filter had the identical problem and the previous homeowner had a grid panel not in the manifold hole. Half in half out. Inspect your grid assembly after rinsing to see if the manifold has a grid out of the manifold. If they are installed properly then you have a tear in a grid panel. Dis assemble and inspect your filter grids. No cloudy white water DE powder should exit the filter back into the pool. This is a DE filter grid assy failure. 😎

Reply to
Dbrzz123