kittens, safety, Diatomaceous Earth

With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats. I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where could I find out?

Reply to
chairchair

A gardening group is always the best place to find answers to pet questions, isn't it?

Could there possible be another place to find such answers?

If only there was such a thing as a Google search to find out?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

It's also a good place to find arrogance as well.

-- Make it just one gnat to email.

JC

Reply to
JC from Gnat Flats

First, read this:

have your cat spayed for petes sake.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

This is only a guess, but I'd say no harm whatsoever, unless they inhale the blowing powder, in which case there may be some risk of kitty silicosis. (Of course, you would also have the possible chance of human silicosis).

Reply to
Darren Garrison

If you are concerned I would avoid it or ask your vet before using it.

Reply to
Sonia Van Tassel

DE is safe for getting rid of fleas "on premesis". It should never be *applied on* kittens, cats, dogs, or any other animal. Especially animals who constantly lick themselves. At six weeks just use a mild flea shampoo *formulated for use on kittens*.

With kittens and cats it is vitally important to use only products that specifically state "safe for use on cats and kittens". I would concentrate on cleaning up the premesis, using Frontline on any older animals (like the mother cat) and treating the kittens the moment they are old enough- usually eight weeks unless they are terribly debilitated by flea infestation.

You will of course need to see a vet for your attendant tapeworms. It may take you some time to get these babies back up to good health following such a rocky start.

Reply to
Toni

Thanks for exposing your pomposity too!!!

Which JC do you think you are? Johnny Carson?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

I'm the one that doesn't have much tolerance for belligerant teenagers. PLONK

-- Make it just one gnat to email.

J.C.

Reply to
J.C.

The internet is not just for chat and newsgroups (contrary to popular belief and ignorance). Try putting 'diatomaceous earth+fleas' into your browser's search window, Google is my personal favorite, there's lots of information out there and you'll see plenty of sites that will answer your question.....if you look long and hard enough you will even get an answer that will agree with what you believe to be right, whether it is or not is another matter. Just to get you started, here's a link:

you don't know what a browser is, or a search engine, I would suggest an Internet for Dummies type of book. Now that you've learned to turn the machine on and wade into a newsgroup you are probably ready to actually use the internet to it's full potential; whether it will be yours or not is up to you.

Val

Reply to
Valkyrie

Ask your vet. You do have one don't you? You will probably get yelled at for posting an animal question in a garden newsgroup.

Reply to
Travis

I'm the one that doesn't have much tolerance for belligerant teenagers. PLONK

well, you've killfiled not a belligerant teenager as you think you have, but one of our more knowlegable, but curmudgeony characters. Cereus-valadus. His tongue is sharp, his wit is dry and quick, his critical observations don't hold back, and there are some of us who don't let his dark humorous barbs distract us, as his answers of validity regarding horticulture and especially cacti and succulents is most admirable. He's deffinately NOT a teenager.....same as Travis is old enough to be my older brother, but there have been times I've thought Travis was a young guy who was quick to point out my own mistakes on the newsgroup.

You got good info from Victoria (aka Bourne Identity) to visit the site. Frontline works on fleas and ticks. and you got excellent advice from Toni. With all those fleas, the poor kittens will have worms which will weaken them and their immune system. madgardener stepping back behind the Korean Spirea now...................

Reply to
madgardener

Well, I'll just have to try to get along without having to read his sharp witicisms.

-- Make it just one gnat to email.

J.C.

Reply to
J.C.

I'm honored. I haven't been a belligerent teenager for so long I almost forgot what it was like.

That still doesn't get you off the hook for being an addle-brained fool, Jiminy Cricket!!!

Only a complete imbecile would ask a pet care question in a garden group.

Why don't you be a good Twinkie and go and haunt a group about pets instead, Jolly Cornpone?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

You still here, Jumbo Catastrophe?

Have you already finished tormenting kittens?

Do you have an actual garden question or do you want to keep on boasting what a complete fool you can be?

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Not by me. I'm pretty disgusted that people still have cats giving birth to kittens.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

Thanks, that was my weekly hysterical belly laugh! Still lauging. I may use that one.

Bourne Identity

now hang on, if I decide to raise a female and let her get pregnant and have her first litter, I'll wind up keeping probably all her kids. I like having a few cats around. I'm actually down to three and that's the lowest amount of cats I've had in decades. The most dogs, and no more, I'm still holding at two, as Sugar and Sméagol is all I can take.

But I just lost my oldest female, Pye and now I just have fixed males. But eventually I'll miss having a female cat around and I've actually considered getting one that I didn't fix just to have a few kittens. I've missed it.

So not to berage you, but you can believe that not everyone is as responsible as me to let a female have a batch of kittens. Where as the asshole across the driveway is allowing his cats to interbreed again and it's becoming quite a mess over there.

One of the reasons that Polluxx was out in the pastures during the violent thunderstorm and lightening we had when he dissappeared for seven days and just got back last Sunday blind in one eye and mentally messed up from whatever harrowing experience he had while he was missing. There are a lot of unfixed cats of both genders procreating across my driveway.

I hope youse don't think of me as disgusting because I want to have a female and possibly a batch of kittens. I might even change my mind later on. I just love the whole thing.

maddie

Reply to
madgardener

Be careful now, big guy, you don't want to hurt Johnny Cockroach's feelings.

We may never know if it is safe to drown kittens in a swimming pool that is filtered with diatomaceous earth.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

Wouldn't that be Johnny Cat?

Reply to