Identify snake?

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone identify this snake?
http://i.imgur.com/5cvjEFq.jpg (104k image)
My daughter's cat brought it home as a gift and I'm wondering about it. For scale: that gray thing behind the snake is about 4" tall.
Thanks
On 9/16/2014 8:25 AM, CRNG wrote:

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Snakes
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:14:49 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

...very cool site! Thnx!
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:25:43 AM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:

My guess would be a baby corn snake...huge variety in Alabama (if that is where you are?)

Kinda depend upon where you live but I would call it a rat snake. Be nice to it, they are useful.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
CRNG wrote:

It's a baby and it's kinda cute.

It is not a rat snake. Looks like a hognose to me. They are pretty common around here.
http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Hog%20nosed%20snake.jpg
On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:35:10 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The snout is too rounded for a hognose.
CRNG wrote:

If I saw it then it would be a dead snake!
On 9/16/2014 12:13 PM, badgolferman wrote:

No poisonous snakes here in Delaware but wife is deathly afraid of them. If I can catch them, I remove them from the property.
Funny, spiders give me the creeps and I kill any that I find in the house. They don't bother my wife.
When I was a kid, I put a small garter snake in an empty bag of M&M's and gave them to another kid that hated snakes. He must have run a block.
Oren wrote:

I feel that way about spiders, but snakes give me the creeps!

You got 75%, Oren :) Coral snakes don't have triangular heads and their pupils are round...kissing cousins to cobras, toxin of both is neurotoxic rather than hemotoxic as in the three vipers you mentioned.
They are shy snakes, like to hide indecaying organic matter like compost piles; when we had a mulch pile,we always kept an eye out when turning it. They are pretty too; unfortunately they look much like king snakes (unfortunate because the kings are mistaken for corals).
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 09/16/2014 1:21 PM, dadiOH wrote: ...

"Red and yellow, kill a fellow; red and black, friend of Jack"

Not even close.
--

dadiOH

Eastern milk snake, I think. Might be corn snake or rat snake, but I think milk snake is more likely.

Yes, the OP is in Alabama. I checked the headers.

Sorry, I should have posted location. Yes, I am in Alabama, but my daughter lives near Tampa Bay, which is where the snake was found.

It was about 12" long. From browsing the above link (good on, thanks!), I'm guessing an Eastern Racer.
On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:05:31 PM UTC-5, CRNG wrote:

Very likely!
http://www.herpjournal.com/2008/04_28_08/thumbnails/t_04_28_08_14.jpg

Or more specifically a juvenile Eastern Yellow-bellied Racer. As pictured here:
http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2012/08/15/reptiles/eastern-yellow-bellied-racer-juvenile/