Ideas on killing ants.

Page 1 of 2

First I would see what the ants were coming to then I would take it away and put Grants ant traps in its place. The ants would eat the poison and die off in a few days. Now they still eat the poison but I think they developed an immunity to it because theyre not dying anymore. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe if I injected some kind of poison through a long thin tube directly into their nest. Any ideas?
First I would see what the ants were coming to then I would take it away and put Grants ant traps in its place. The ants would eat the poison and die off in a few days. Now they still eat the poison but I think they developed an immunity to it because theyre not dying anymore. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe if I injected some kind of poison through a long thin tube directly into their nest. Any ideas
Hi Molly, Go here for instructions on making and using borax to kill them. Works extremely good especially when you have no idea exactly where the nest is. The ants themselves will take it back to the nest and wipe it out in 2 or 3 days. Works for us! http://www.ehow.com/how_4881566_make-borax-ant-bait.html Larry

I get to use my Monthly Dumb Question Coupon:
Where do I buy borax? I'm sure I could just go to some stores, and look around, but I live in the country, and I'd like to save on gas, and find out before I go driving all over.
I remember Boraxo soap from when I was a kid. I think they sponsored Death Valley Days, with Ronald Reagan as announcer. Did I remember that right?
Steve
-snip-

No- you remembered it like I did. I have called 20 Mule Team Borax 'Boraxo' on occasion-- but when I just googled it, I see Boraxo is a different [but similar] product.
You find both in the laundry section. They just recently updated 20 Mule team Borax box- but it still has the Wagon Train on it.
Jim
Steve B wrote:

Just about any supermarket. ______________

Boraxo is borax with soap added.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Steve B wrote:

probably has some brand of borax/sugar bait.....it is an old generic formula and inexpensive. If the ants are "grease ants", need to mix bait with something fatty....rich pastries are fantastic (not kidding) and easy to mix with the bait.

.
If you want it to kill ants, it's not quite the right stuff. You really want Boric Acid, which is readily available by Internet order. About $1/lb, last I checked.

Wasn't that 20-Mule Team Borax?
keith wrote:

Borax works for me at 2-4% in sugar syrup. I can prepare a tablespoon at a time with sugar, borax, a tiny bit of water, and a microwave. The hard part is guessing how much borax.
I'm not sure why they usually say boric acid. A slightly acidic environment removes the sodium from borax, turning it into boric acid.

Of the four hosts, Reagan was the worst; he lasted only 1 season. I preferred The Old Ranger, who hosted the first 13. I wish the Old Ranger could have replaced the Lone Ranger so Tonto wouldn't have had to roam the west with a babbling idiot.
J Burns wrote:

Did you know that "tonto" is the Spanish word for stupid?
Then there is that "kemo sabe" stuff for the Lone Ranger himself. I'm betting that it is mangled Spanish..."quien sabe" means "who knows" in Spanish and is a reasonable reply for the ever present question of, "Who was that masked man?".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

"Kimosabe, wake up. What you see?"
"I see millions of stars, Tonto."
"Hmmm, what that tell you, Kimosabe?"
"Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Chronologically, it appears to be approximately quarter past three. Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all-powerful, and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Tonto?"
"Hmmm, me think someone steal tent."

That was good for a long chuckle!!!

That was good for a long chuckle!!!
Didn't they do that one on TV? <g> What I was amazed at on the Lone Ranger was that neither one EVER got dirty. Even the horses.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

They used to have to put on their costumes in the men's room of a service station on the way to work. Maybe that was so people on the set wouldn't know who the masked man was. They kept being fired, but Tonto was indispensable.
One day Jay announced that he would play the role in his street clothes or not at all. The current kimosabe conferred with him and found that after five years, he was distressed not to have a dressing room.
After that, dressing rooms were provided, but he was still distressed that Tonto wasn't allowed to speak English. A year later, he had a heart attack at 42. During his recovery, the show's popularity dwindled.
His father, Major George Alexander Smith, was the most highly decorated Native Canadian soldier in history. At 16, Harry J Smith became a semipro lacrosse player. He was so fast that fans said his feet were white streaks. They nicknamed him Silverheels in deference to Caucasian sensitivity about the W word.
In 1933 he moved to Buffalo with his team, where he lived with wrestler Jack Donovan. Later, Jay won two wrestling championships. He was also a model. He moved to Hollywood in 1937 after Joe E. Brown convinced him to become an actor. In 1938 he took second place in the Golden Gloves tournament at Madison Square Garden.
If Jay had been allowed to play himself, he wouldn't have needed a horse or a gun. He himself said he could outrun Scout.

I always thought Tonto was the brains of the outfit.
Steve
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:54:10 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

Inside or outside? It makes a difference 'round here for me.
Molly Brown wrote:

Hydramethylnon has a half-life of about 10 days in soil or water. Grants recommends replacement every 3 months indoors and every 6 weeks outdoors.
Molly Brown wrote:

I have no idea what is in Grant's ant traps...there are baits composed of sugar syrup and boric acid that work very well. My ant problems (indoors) have always been seasonal...once I put out bait along their trails, the ants were gone. If ants persist indoors, I'd look very hard at changing food storage and doing very thorough cleaning. Outdoors? Not much reason to treat ants outdoors unless they are biting ants (like fire ants) or carpenter ants infesting damaged landscaping or structural wood. Ants and other critters may invade homes when there are weather extremes...looking for water during drought or flooded out of normal nests due to flooding.

Talstar One. -----
- gpsman
First I would see what the ants were coming to then I would take it away and put Grants ant traps in its place. The ants would eat the poison and die off in a few days. Now they still eat the poison but I think they developed an immunity to it because theyre not dying anymore. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe if I injected some kind of poison through a long thin tube directly into their nest. Any ideas?
=========================================================================== Throw a couple of granules of sugar on the floor, when they come out to get it, smack em with a BFH.
Look in the yellow pages, under Rent An Aardvark?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus