Maytag Series Nine Gas Water Heater Loud Noises When Heating

I got a new Maytag 40 gallon water heater (HRN4940TN) about 2.5 years ago. At about the two year mark it started making loud metallic clanking sounds when heating. Called maytag and played the noises over the phone and they had no idea. Went to store where I bought it and they suggested that I had sediment and needed to flush it (which I did but with no results). Called a plumber who charged me to tell me that it didn't have sediment and that there was nothing he could do, claiming that there was a metal rod that ran the length of the heater that was making the noise. He also said that it wasn't going bad and that the noise could be ignored. Easy for him to say since he doesn't listen to it every day. Any ideas? Did I just get a turkey? It doesn't strike me as a very long lifespan.

Reply to
TomAZ

That's supposed to be a self cleaning water heater. I wonder if the noise could have something to do with the baffle that hangs down through the center of the heater. The next time you hear the noise, try jiggling the baffle with a screwdriver so as not to burn your hand or try to reposition the baffle when the burner is off.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's either your or dip tube or anode that's broken inside the tank. Find out if it's under warranty.

Molly Brown

Thanks for responding. No, this heater only had a 1 year warranty. I investigated everything except length of warranty, not a good idea. If I understood plumber correctly, he was saying the noise was coming from what the other poster described as "baffle" runniing down center of heater (shown but not labeled in picture on the right in your link).

Reply to
TomAZ

Thanks for reply. If I understand what the baffle is, I don't see how it can be "jiggled." Seems to be tight as a tick . But that sounds like what the noise is coming from. Definitely internal, not part of vent or plumbing or anything else.

Reply to
TomAZ

Well, the baffle is usually a twisted piece of metal that makes the hot flue gases swirl around so more heat can be extracted. Most of them I've seen can be slid out through the top of the water heater. If yours is tight, it could be that heat is causing the metal to expand and make noise. If you can lift the vent off the top of the water heater, you should be able to move the baffle. Perhaps a little mechanical persuasion with a hammer and pry bar will loosen it up. I wonder if soot buildup of some kind may have glued it in place and not allowed it to expand properly?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas