Ice maker stopped

Page 2 of 2
LouB wrote:

Did you hit the switch in the ice box and turn it off? Did you bend the 'ice bucket full' arm/switch? Where is the water line taped off? Under the sink or in the basement?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Blattus Slafaly ? (3) :) wrote:

What switch?? I will look for a switch (where?)
Lou

The switch is that which gets activated when the metal lever gets moved. Its possible that the switch was broken inside and moving the lever is now just a dummy move. There should be no additional switches to activate the icemaker. I find that simple disassembly and reassembly often fixes electromechanical problems even if you don't find the cause. 50/50 at least its worth a look in most cases.
Check to see if the ice tray is full, if not the valve isn't even opening. Give it a day more. you might have just activated it during the defrost part of the cycle and it needs more time. If additional symptoms occur like frosting, continuous running or freezup of the fridge compartment then you may have a deeper problem with the defrost timer or the defrost heating coil.
In older (not electronic controls) models, the ice maker and defrost timer were integrated and power to it is supplied through the drfrost heater coil. If the coil goes open, everything stops working except the cold.
pipedown wrote:

Thanks
LouB wrote:

On, under, around the ice maker. There is also a plug behind or under it to remove it. Check that.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Blattus Slafaly ? (3) :) wrote:

Thanks

I too bet the fill tube is frozen
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ah, but why did it freeze up? It has worked fine for 16 months.
Lou

Shit happens. It is just worth checking because if the water solenoid is bad or the tube is frozen a new icemaker won't fix anything. Is there ice in the tray now that hasn't dumped?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Was about to reply "None" when I got up and looked. Lever is up. Should not be making ice, BUT there is a whole row of cubes against the side of the box. Like they are ready to be pushed out. I dropped the lever to see what happens and as I type I can hear them drop!. TWICE Maybe it just had to rest a few days:-))
Will report back. Thanks to all who made suggestions.
Lou
Fill valve is dribbling, slowly.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I\'m fast,
Worn Out Retread wrote:

Normally what happens is the refrig was unplugged for some reason or the water was shut off at some point. Causing the line to freeze. Try taking everything out of the freezer part and shutting down, open door and let thaw out. I have seen this happen many times and this is usually what causes ice makers and water dispensers to stop working.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Thanks, but it was not unplugged nor was the water shut off.
It did make ice one time again. Then it got tired again.
Lou

Check this site out http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/typeoicemaker.htm

OK, I wager 10 Darsek's.
We'll be watching.