ice maker off colored ice

Ice maker suddenly started making pale yellow ice cubes. Water drawn from faucet is normal as is water in commode. What is going on?

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Somebody peed in your line filter, or something is growing in there? Melt a cube on stack of paper towels, and see if it leaves any apparent residue behind.

This house came with a fancy fridge with an ice maker, which I have switched off because the ice tasted funky (due to high-mineral water), and the feed line is almost tea-kettled shut. I'll never buy a fridge with an ice-maker- more trouble than they are worth, IMHO.

Reply to
aemeijers

Unless you have shaky hands, it is not that hard to walk from the sink to the freezer compartment with a filled tray of water. Never could understand how one would want to add something that is a real source of problems to an otherwise simple machine.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You probably need to flush the line. There's so little water going through that line (compared to a commode or sink faucet) that stuff can participate out of solution from just standing so long. Any construction in your area? There might have been a day where the water was cloudier than normal and though you might have not noticed it, that water got trapped in the water line to the icemaker. I am assuming you don't have a whole house water filter. You might think about getting one, or at least a small filter for the ice cube maket if the problem persists.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'd never buy a 'fridge without one. We use it constantly.

Reply to
krw

Never had a serious problem with one. There are many conveniences that aren't in any way a necessity that I don't want to be without. Ice maker, dish washer, garbage disposer, microwave oven...

Reply to
krw

Precipitate. Spelling check error? "Stuff" participates in precipitation? I gotta be more careful

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

You're supposed to use water, not beer to make ice cubes. SOBER UP and this wont happen again.....

Reply to
jw

Problem corrected itself as suddenly as it started.

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Is this one that spits cubes out the door-- or dumps them in a tray in the freezer? If the latter, I'd suspect something got spilled into the tray.

Are you on city water? Do they flush the lines without warning?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Load of junk from a repair somewhere in the supply system. You might not have noticed it if it was short lived. Not unusual if you are on city water. When they work on the system or fix a break sediment in the pipes gets knocked lose.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I agree. Never had a problem with one either. And my new fridge has one that delivers crushed ice. I never really thought about it, but now having one with crushed ice, it's really much better. It instantly chills down room temp drinks and the ice doesn't have the tendency to try to come out of the glass when you're drinking.

As for Frank's problem, if the fridge also delivers cold water I'd check the water coming out of that. The ice maker draws water from that tank, if the fridge has one. Could be it's crudded up. If it doesn't have one, then I'd disconnect the water line and let it run for awhile to flush out the line. Also not a bad idea to install a filter on it.

Reply to
trader4

What problems? Generally they just work. As far as whether they are needed that would be no but they are a convenience.

Reply to
George

My comments were based on the number of questions/problems that show up here from time to time.

Reply to
hrhofmann

As with anything else, people generally don't make posts about how reliable their icemaker is. Instead, they post when there is a problem, so it is an unscientific survey.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You sound like my dad, who used to claim that power windows on an automobil= e were "just one more thing that can break".

Not to say I disagree with him, or you. An ice-maker is a convenience, espe= cially for we absent-minded (a nice way of saying ADD) types. There are tim= es I need a continuous supply of ice, such as family get-togethers (particu= larly in Summertime) and having four ice cube trays is insufficient to the = task, I don't have the time to be stockpiling ice cubes the week ahead, and= I don't like paying someone else to freeze water in a convenient form for = me.

In a fridge/freezer that is reliable, an ice-maker is not going to be all t= hat more prone to breaking than any other component. In a unit that is "meh= " (like the noisy P.O.S. I bought from Sears) an ice-maker is definitely go= ing to be extra headaches.

Reply to
Kyle

All of ours have had crushed ice dispensers. I like them a lot. I like to eat ice. ;-)

Ours doesn't deliver cold water, the water tube must go around the case, rather than through the fridge. At least the reservoir is next to zero. I'd rather have chilled water, but...

Reply to
krw

Yesterday I checked the icemaker in fridge in our guest cottage on same water system (well) and the exact same sequence had happened. I assume that eliminates both frigs & icemakers... must be something happened in our water supply system.

thank all of you for your help

Reply to
Frank Thompson

Yesterday I checked the icemaker in fridge in our guest cottage on same water system (well) and the exact same sequence had happened. I assume that eliminates both frigs & icemakers... must be something happened in our water supply system.

thank all of you for your help ================================================ Thanks for the followup. I'd look for a small line filter for each fridge that would likely prevent a recurrence. It's bound to happen again when the "stars" align badly.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Remember what your mother told you: "Do not eat yellow snow!"?

Probably holds for ice, too.

Reply to
HeyBub