I strained my back - OUCH

I was doing a bunch of landscaping in my back yard yesterday. Digging, trenching, fixing sprinkler lines, back filling. When I was doing it I did not feel a thing, it was during the end of the day when I was basically on my knee trying to wrestle with a really stubborn leak for a long time when I tried to stand up to turn on the pump to test it I had a hard time standing up!

My lower back hurts like hell.

I don't know if it's a strain, or I pulled something. The pain is in the lower back. It's real painful when I try to get up, or sit down, or lay down, or lean over to reach something low. Once I am in a fixed position there is no pain, it's when I try to change position.

I wonder if it may be the wheel barrow? I shoveled a lot of soil into it and moved it to a pile, a few times it's so heavy the wheel barrow tilted and I have to right it.

I got some BENGAY and applied that to my back last night, no improvements.

So I went to bed early last night and this morning when I woke up the pain is still there when I tried to get up, although not as intense. I remember having muscle ache before when I did hard physical work, but usually the next day when I woke up I am ok. Not this time. I still have trouble getting up and sitting down, or bend over my upper body to wash my face or brush my teeth.

I am wondering if it's possible to tell whether I over strained my muscles or pulled something. If I need to go see a doctor what kind should I go see?

Also will any medication help with this? I already tried BENGAY and that gave me some mild cooling sensation and did not really do anything constructive.

Should I lay down and let it heal or is there something I can do to help it along? Should I stretch a little?

I know this is not a medical group but I thought this may be a common occurrence with DIYers I might ask here for practical information.

Thanks for any information you may have to share..

Reply to
MiamiCuse

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:Nqednfri68BZZtvUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

Well MC, shit happens...good shit, bad shit, but shit always happens.

We all have "back" stories. It could be anything from "You ain't 25 no more" and just gotta rest it out to a bulged disk ready to bust or a pinched nerve ready to cripple you in another millimeter. It would not be wise for anyone to give you a diagnosis or remedy. An MD, not chiropractor, is best suited.

Sincerely hope you get it straightened out with as little discomfort possible in the shortest amount of time in a safe manner.

Red

Reply to
Red Green

Get yourself a Chiropractor RIGHT now, don't wait 12 days after you have to crawl to the toilet in pain.

Call now and go. See if you have insurance coverage...

I collapsed in a drive way one day, wanted to tough if out and suffered more days than cared to.

That injury still flares up now and then.

Reply to
Oren

Been there, done that...

Think about seeing a Dr. I always found muscle relaxants helped a lot, at least temporarily.

My back hurt like you describe for many years. I went thru the x-rays, etc, nothing helped permanently.

Then when I was about 55 I built a deck and patio, something like what you did to hurt yourself in the first place. About a month and a half of hard labor. No pain since then.

Also, my feet hurt. Running cured that. I could have sworn I would not be able to run.

You're going to get a lot of anecdotal stories, none of them (including mine) should be considered sound advice.

I read somewhere that when back pain was scientifically studied, they found that most back pain goes away without explanation.

My own conviction is, if you are not already in good shape, getting in shape is a good cure.

Reply to
Dan Espen

"Oren" wrote

Oren, the reason why I'd not recommend that as first step, is without knowing more, a chiro can in some cases unwittingly do more damage than cure.

I dont know if all chiros are MD's. I just know mine is. He works with my spine surgeon to help defer surgical level needs as long as possible for people like me.

Reply to
cshenk

Chiropractors are NOT MDs. The fundamental theory behind chirpractic is that all or most human maladies are the result of pressure on nerves, usually caused by misalignment of the spine. By first putting you under an X-ray machine until you glow in the dark, a chiropractor will "manipulate" your spine until your bee-bite, pancreatic cancer, or dandruff is cured.

The human body has remarkable regenerative powers. Interestingly, the length of time required for the body to heal both with and without chiropractic intervention is the same. The chiropractor may, however, make you feel a bit better, but a visit to a "massage parlor" is cheaper.

Reply to
HeyBub

In addition to what most others have said, I'd like to add that a special type of bandage may be of help. I don't know the exact name, but it looks like a corset! You velcro yourself into the thing and it's main purpose, I believe, is to prevent you from aggravating the condition by limiting your range of movement. Swaddling yourself in about two miles of elastic bandage may be a substitute.

Your family doctor is the one to see - that is, a GP, Family Practice, or Internist. What you experienced is common and any physician has seen the exact same thing a zillion times - we're not talking cerebral malaria here. The proper treatement, I believe, is rest, muscle relaxants, and pain killers. The latter two items are available only from a physician (or friendly dentist).

Herbs, homeopathic remedies, vitamins, will be worthless (with the possible exception of caspacian).

Reply to
HeyBub

Chiropractors were called quacks one time. Today insurance has it covered. Check the policy.

Go see or call the MD or Chiropractor.

Reply to
Oren

It's amazing how much you use certain muscles but don't notice until they hurt. I can't tell you what to do, other than see a doc if you feel the need. Especially if you have pain radiating down one leg. A family doc should be able to treat or refer if he/she sees the need. I'm a retired industrial nurse, so have given first aid for lots of back strain. If someone had a rather sudden or severe strain, I would ice it and recommend they use ice for the first 24 hours. Pretty much like an ankle strain. I've had back strains a couple of times that were painful for several weeks, once after lifting a friend's mother who was in a wheel chair. Use antiinflam. if you can tolerate - ibuprofen. A lot of docs feel Tylenol is better because it seems to have a muscle relaxing effect. Naproxen is good A firm mattress usually gives more relief for sore back. To get out of bed, it is better if you turn onto your side facing the edge of the bed, let your feet off the edge of the bed as you raise up onto elbow and then to sitting. Start using heating pad after 24 hours. Hot shower with water running onto back or, better yet, hot bath (provided you can get in and out of tub safely). From the amount of work you did you certainly qualify for a sore back.

I've had pretty painful muscle spasm in my back and neck; both resolved quickly. When I hurt my neck, is was sort of a freak whiplash. Didn't want to go to ER so I folded a towel and wrapped it around my neck to use as a neck brace. Spasms quit after about 12 hours; sore for a week or two.

Reply to
Norminn

most back pain goes away over 4 to 6 weeks on its own, read where over

90% of everyone has occasional back pain.

hurting some is a good sign you got a work out, dont panic take it easy for a week, just normal activities and you will likely be fine till the next big job comes along

Reply to
hallerb

"HeyBub" wrote in news:bNadnSAkbLwZk9rUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

This is misinformation.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

MDs will load you up on Meds. MDs did nothing for me. A Chiro fixed my problems.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

"HeyBub" wrote in news:qomdnWIsEbA5jdrUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

You can buy those belts at the corner drug store. In the section where they sell OTC braces and wraps. I use mine once in a while when my back feels sore.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

In legitimate instances a massage parlor may be adjacent the chiropractor's office, next door and be covered by medical insurance.

Reply to
Oren

*some* are. Mine is. He's not cheap either but insurance for now pays the bill.
Reply to
cshenk

"Oren" wrote

Oren, you deleted the important part of where the symptoms mean doc NOW. Its extremely unlikely he has any of that numb genital region and hard to urinate, but that is NOT a time for a chiro.

Reply to
cshenk

Depends on the problem. I've been to a chiropractor for some problems and had pretty much instant relief. I'm talking about a stiff neck or sacroiliac dislocation. One good push works faster than muscle relaxers. I don't go there for heart problems, cancer, pneumonia, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Excellent advice.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Oh! I mentioned that I collapsed in a drive way. What I did not say was it was only 15 minutes after the incident.

It took me 12 days to go for help an stop being foolish.

It hurt when I had too crawl and take care of business. Insurance covered the Chiropractor. Damn was I relieved.

Folks have to pick their poison.

Reply to
Oren

That is a good point. But when I got my first compressed vertebrae, my Chiropractor told me what it was without seeing an x-ray and told me there was nothing he could do for me except tell me to see a Orthopedic Surgeon.

That is what all Chiropractors are supposed to do. But some are quacks.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams