I strained my back - OUCH

"olddog" wrote

Actually been meaning to mention this but X-rays alone arent really what's needed. MRI is also needed as some things will not show on X-rays.

Reply to
cshenk

I doubt very seriously that his back problem is anything more than simple muscular strain. I know it hurts more than most things but the chances are that's all there is to it. If you have them laying around the house alternate pain killers with muscle relaxers. Get in the recliner or bed (whichever feels better) and stay there. Plan on babying your back for at least a couple of days, maybe longer. Don't stretch; don't exercise. REST.

OTOH, if you develop any numbness in your feet or legs you should get to a doctor immediately. Do not put it off until tomorrow. You may not be able to walk tomorrow.... and it might be permanent if you delay. Lightning bolts down the leg don't qualify as an emergency; it's sciatic pain and can be treated at a more leisurely pace.

Back problems fall in the overlap between neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery. There is no consensus over who does the best work; it's more the man than the specialty. Any practitioner worth a damn will be very reluctant to schedule any surgery. The usual treatments involve painkillers, skeletal muscle relaxers, and steroids such a Medrol dose packs. Hot showers feel great too.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

clipped

Nooooooo.......I didn't write "psychiatrist"........it's "physiatrist".

More here if you are interested:

Norminn

I've never been serious enough to warrant MRI's. I think you have to have some signs of nerve interference and my reflexes and muscle strength have remained intact.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:EPE1l.10706$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

Lackanookie would be another. Refer that to Oren's post :-)

Red Green

"olddog" wrote in news:rPR1l.208763$Mh5.89217@bgtnsc04- news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

ROTFL!!

Reply to
Red Green

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

I have not had that luxury but I heard someone describe it as: To you it looks like a tiny pea. To me it's a bowling ball covered in barbed wire.

Reply to
Red Green

That is a shitload of medication. What happened to you that requires all of that? (I'm not suggesting it's not required; just wondering why.)

I myself was in a plane crash back in the late 80's, suffered an incomplete amputation of one arm (reattached) and crushed a hip. I went through a period of using a lot of pain meds, then nothing at all for a very long time; then by the early 2000s I was using an ungodly amount of NSAIDs. I finally got the crushed hip replaced. Getting rid of the bad hip fixed most of my ongoing problems with low back pain (caused by lurching when I walked). Today I'm not on any medication at all. Nothing. I consider myself very fortunate.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"olddog" wrote

Lucky you ;-) Keep it that way! Although I'm not the worst off here (and do NOT wanna be either!) I'm well in the MRI range. Had my second full series spinal MRI from head to tailbone a bit ago to match against the other one taken in Jan07. Groan, now Doc is thinking to do my ankles, knees, elbows, and wrists. Xrays arent optimal for soft tissue damage.

Reply to
cshenk

You gotta admire docs that are real people.

I visited my internist shortly after the current pope's election. Knowing my doctor was of Vietnamese extraction, I asked if he was Catholic - I was going to congratulate him on his church's new Pontiff.

His answer:

"Depends on the girl I'm dating at the time."

Reply to
HeyBub

I want to thank everyone for the constructive advise.

I am happy to report that my conditions have improved every day.

Sunday after I strained my back, I could not stand up or sit down without pain in the lower back. I was basically useless, walking was a real strain.

I had a night of sleep and Monday morning I woke up, and I felt a bit better, but turning in bed is sore. Getting out of bed was a real struggle. I could walk, but walk like a Frankenstein, no leaning in or anything. Again, sitting down and getting up was bad, but I could feel a general improvement. I did nothing but relax and slowly moving around. Did not go into work.

Tuesday I got up and felt better. Still trouble getting up and sitting down. I found the worst to do is to sit down in front of the computer to work, and then after an hour trying to get up makes it most painful. Seems the muscles hate being in that position, so I didn't do that much. I tried to go into work in the afternoon, I made it out to the driveway and got into the driver seat with some difficulty but I managed, but then I forgotten something in the house and had to get out and go back in...the getting out of the seat and planting my feet on the ground, that was a struggle, I decided going to work was not a good idea, especially I have not tried climbing stairs yet. So I went back in and stayed home. I did not do any exercise except to lay on my back and lift my knees slowly to my chest, very slowly, and I did that in small repetitions. Don't know if that makes it any better, but I don't think it made it any worse. I did not strain while I did it.

Today I got up and felt much better. Still walking like an Egyptian a bit, but I could slightly lean forward without pain.

I am hopeful that by the end of the week I will be back to normal except I don't think I can do any heavy duty work at the house for a few weeks.

I have not seen any MD or chiro yet. No, no numbness on my legs or anywhere.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Knee operation. Three shoulder operations. 8.5 hour 5 way bypass with aortic valve replacement, 1 cm. crush fracture of L1 vertebra, ascending aortic aneurysm, arthritis, degenerative cervical spondylosys, traumatic brain injury, high blood pressure, anticoagulant blood monitoring for heart valve, angina, cholesterol maintenance, and ............ probably something else I can't think of.

When you get older, two things fail you. Memory is the first, and I don't recall the second.

Reply to
SteveB

See, I told you that would feel better when it quit hurting. Time is a good healer. For many problems.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Very glad to hear that you are better. Just food for thought ......sore muscles, muscle strains, are TORN muscle fibers. I would not do any stretching.....it is kind of like taking a healing laceration and trying to spread it apart. Pain needs to heal. Heat probably will help comfort at this point, to make LIMITED movement easier. You are right, no heavy work for a few weeks.

Reply to
Norminn

Sounds to me like you would benefit a lot from a muscle relaxant.

You would have to visit an MD.

Reply to
Dan Espen

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:K8udnbi40IT3ndTUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

Good to hear. So many of us have actually felt the pain!

Kinda glad you didn't MC....since you would have driven yourself. How do you think it would have went if you had to jam on the brake suddenly?

Reply to
Red Green

"MiamiCuse" wrote

Most welcome!

No need to see a Doc then unless you want some muscle relaxers but that might be costly if you dont have good insurance. Really, I'd just do as you have been as it seems sure to just be muscle strain with no nerve involvement or bone damage. That means if you are careful the next month, you'll be fine.

I love my rice bags. A friend mailed them to me. You can do the same thing with a tube sock pretty much. Just fill with uncooked rice and nuke for 1 min then put it at you back. Nice warmth you can carry around with you.

Reply to
cshenk

All of the prescription pain medication I've taken (after joint surgery, back pain, etc.) made me sicker than a dog, then vomit. I prefer heating pads, ice pack, and Chi Gong to deal with the pain.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Phisherman" wrote

I have no problem with anyone handling themselves any way they wish. I only object of people who feel it necessary to criticize another's method of coping.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Exactly. As our instructor in the "Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs" class said while holding up an Opium poppy: "It's not all bad. If you have severe burns, terminal cancer, or a broken back, you'll thank God He put this little machine on the earth. Morphine is the standard by which all analgesics are measured."

Reply to
HeyBub