Back yard drainage...

Posted earlier about standing water in the back yard, and we are now headed into another installment of the rainy season around here. Wondering: what would be wrong with routing the worst of the drainage problem into the sewer, via the drain that the washer uses. This one, I am fairly certain, will get shot down in flames. But I have no idea as to how or why as of yet. Anyone care to comment? I am thinking that if I can provide sufficient filtration to catch the majority of debris, it ought to work. I've even seen large square drains in the middle of yards on the other side of town that can't go anywere but the sewer. They are just larger, with (I presume) larger pipes. Does anyone think that a 4" line could be made to suffice for such a purpose? Please, fire away. All I am trying to do is give the water that collects over the back sidewalk during a heavy rain somewhere to go.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There may be rules about NOT PUTTING ground water drainage into a sanitary sewer system in that area, if the authorities know or find out?

One argument is that it can overload sewage treatment and or sewage handling equipment/macerators etc. Not only are many of our municipal infrastructures now old (50 to 100 years etc.) there has also been a lot of additional building and significant population increase in some places!

And water/sewer systems are costly to install and maintain. Also, if they flood it can cause all kinds of health and environmental problems, especially in high population areas and/or during heavy rains/flooding.

Putting ground water into a septic sewer system is almost the exact opposite of misusing water supply! We filter and process millions of gallons of 'Drinking water' (said to be in short supply?) to an acceptable standard and then use much of it for watering plants and washing cars etc.!!!!!! That doesn't make sense.

Reply to
terry

It's pretty likely to be a serious legal infraction. If everyone dumped runoff into the sewers, there would be frequent sewage discharges into streams/rivers/lakes during bad storms.

Reply to
Bob F

Depending on your municipality (or whoever owns the sewers), you might get away with probation.

Reply to
keith

Using the *sanitary sewer*, the same one the toilets use, is most likely against local codes. Too much water at the sewage treatment plant causes problems. With lots of rainwater going into the sanitary sewer, it can't keep up and raw sewage is then discharged into the creek/river/whatever.

If it can drain to the *storm sewer*, that should be fine but I'd check first on how to go about it.

Reply to
Tony

That's a nono. Why can't you drain it somewhere else? No place in your entire yard lower? 4" corrugated line will handle a good deal of water but exactly how much depends on the drop. It does come in long rolls and I recommend you get a roll and use a continuous piece rather than put together 10' sections. You'll have a lot less root problems that way. There is also 6" available in rolls if you think you need bigger.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

That's a nono. Why can't you drain it somewhere else? No place in your entire yard lower? 4" corrugated line will handle a good deal of water but exactly how much depends on the drop. It does come in long rolls and I recommend you get a roll and use a continuous piece rather than put together 10' sections. You'll have a lot less root problems that way. There is also 6" available in rolls if you think you need bigger.

Okay, this may be my best bet. Reroute it to the storm drain. Not as close, but probably a much better idea. Hadn't even thought about the implications of rainwater in the sewer system...

THANK YOU to all who replied, and helped set me straight. :) Much appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

IIRC, your first post mentioned 6" of rain...happen often there? How often does the water collect? How long does it take to dissipate? I doubt that anyone can make a recommendation without knowing more about the lot, slope, soil, grading, elevation, etc. FWIW, if there are separate storm and sanitation sewers, that might block your plan. You might also need a building permit to alter drainage. Photos might help to see the property and help with the problem.

Reply to
norminn

Can you make a French drain for it? It's surprising what a person can do with a little shovel work, plastic pipe and some gravel. Drain it to a lower spot that will get the water on to a storm sewer.

FatterDumber& Happier Moe

I just wonder how people build a house on a site without proper prep. for drainage? What is local building dept. doing? In our city we can't even wash cars on our drive way.(city bylaw)

Reply to
Tony Hwang