back yard wedding

In Carolyn Hax, an online advice column, woman wants a simple backyard wedding.

"My sister started telling me I have to plan for parking, bathrooms, permits, chairs, a tent for bad weather, alerting the neighbors, hiring a lawn company to fix up our grandmother's lawn and I'm sure I am forgetting stuff."

Lawn company, maybe, and the other things yes, but do you need a permit for a backyard wedding? Anywhere? To park 30 to 50 cars on the street?

"And, 75 people will trash the lawn, which will need to be repaired, unless you’re okay with running a human stampede through your grammy’s yard and just leaving it as they leave it."

Wiill 75 people damage the lawn? I went to one with 25 people, didn't notice any damage. The whole wedding went fine. I walk on my lawn ever day. In 75 days, will my lawn be damaged? (humor).

Reply to
micky

The grass will be fine. Ever go to a firework show with a few thousand people on the gass?

Reply to
Thomas

It's all great fun until someone plugs your toilet.

Reply to
Slevin

One we attended had wedding cake fall over on uneven ground.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Good point. No wonder I had doubts.

Reply to
micky

Have some old photos from he 50's which reminded me of the days when churches would have grass parking lots. There could not have been any damage.

Smart move having a home wedding. I know people who have put second mortgages on the houses to have a huge, fancy wedding.

To me that seems dumb. I'm sure newlyweds could use the money instead.

Now that I recall, back in the 50's I recall cars pulling stings of tin cans and blowing horns.

That ...to me.. would be more fun that an expensive bash.

Also have seen weddings ruined by photographers that took two hours to pose everyone there.

Reply to
philo

I agree.

They don't do that anymore?

I've seen people who have their wedding reception in a park. This one was a quiet wooded suburban park which generally had no one in it. No dance floor, no dancing but everyone seemed to have a good time.

The backyard wedding I talked about before... The bride had been married before, twice, and had 4 children. The groom was 26. She arranged the wedding, and asked a friend, who was a professional photographer iirc, to take pictures of it. I think the friend asked, Am I a guest or the photographer. The bride said "Both".

After the wedding, the photog said she'd forgotten to put film in the camera. This was 1976 or so and any decent camera woulnd't even work if it didn't have film.

I was just a guest but I took about 20 pictures, capturing all the big moments and most or all of the guests (except myself). It's a good thing I was there.

The woman was 40 and the "boy" was 26. She was a school teacher and he had no apparent skills, had an almost unskilled job. She ran the show, treated him like a teen-age son. OTOH, the kids soon graduated high school and moved out. And he got involved in community theatre. I've lost touch but they had been married 30 years before I did. I think they were just what the other needed.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, the Mall in D.C. for the 4th of July. If it's rained within the preceding two days, the lawn gets so trampled afterwards that in those years they have to re-sod/re-seed. What's left of the original lawn is turned under for mulch/fertilizer. But, I wouldn't equate 75 people with multiple thousands although the Mall is certainly much larger than most people's backyards!

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Plus the mall is full all day and maybe more than one day.

Weddings last a couple hours, part of which time they are eating, not moving.

Can women wear high heals are backyard weddings or do they sink in? It probably varies depending on the dirt, so maybe the question should be, Would a woman wear high heels to a backyard wedding?

When I was about 14, there was a reception area with asphalt tile or whatever was used in 1960 when the place was built, and if the light was right you could see hundreds of permanent dents from high heels.

Reply to
micky

We had not a backyard wedding, but one in a park. We encouraged everyone to dress casually, as for a picnic. The bride wore flat sandals, a skirt, and a blouse.

After 34 years, I can't recall if anyone wore heels. Probably not; most of our friends are pretty smart.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I don't remember what the bride wore, but it was pretty informal too.

That's good. Makes sense. I'd be afraid they'd leave but leave their shoes behind.

Reply to
micky

LOL. I once did the photography for a friend's wedding. By the third roll, I had enough to drink to enable me to not load the film properly and I shot all 24 (of maybe 36) exposures on one frame.

The first two rolls were fine and he actually liked the multi-exposure one. Still, I felt bad about it. As it turned ended up, it did not matter, he walked out on her a month later.

Funny thing though, she ended up being a Playboy model ...She was Lynn Harris , one of the quite famous at the time Harris Twins

philo

So I guess I was hard on her in suggesting she lied. That it is possible to not load the camera. thanks for tempering my words.

In fact once in the winter, my hands were so cold I ripped he film out of the canister but didn't notice, and I kept taking pictures. (at least I thought I was.)

Another time, I had a camera that progressed and rewound electrically, but it left a couple inches sticking out after it rewound. And like a fool, I put a used roll in a second time. A whole roll of double exposures. I especially miss the one of the little cute blond with long wavy hair carrying a submachine gun, She was on guard duty.

Wow.

Very pretty. I had a roommate for about a year who was a Playboy bunny. She'd worked as a model in Boston, at least she had a portfolio, but didn't get work in NYC. When the Playboy Club reopened she got a job there. She invited me and our 3rd roommate to the grand opening (it was 3 days, one day for investors, one day for customers, and one day for family and friends of employees.) And boy did she look sexy Vavavavoom. And busty. But I'd seen her at home, withouth make-up and wearing a sleeveless blouse, and I was not trying to look but when I looked in her direction, I could see in one armhole and across her chest and out the other arm. With almost nothing in between. She had the smallest of breasts. I guess they got it all to stay at the top and filled in the bottom 80 or

90% with padding.

I slept in the room off the kitchen and one day she woke me up loudly repeating all the garnishes for all the drinks. She had to memorize them. i guess the bartender made the drink but she had to add the garnish.

She was a ditz too. Somehow managed to make the washing machine overflow, even though I had it for 3 or 4 years without a problem. Dropped the oven rack on the kitchen chair, burning two stripe in it. Never told me she'd done that, but I was in bed and I heard her. Borrowed a bed sheet and got eye makeup all over it.

She was a nice girl however. Nothing physical between us. She never brought a boy home, although I think she had a boyfriend or two during the year. But somehow she drove me crazy and I came back from Penna. just to kick her out and while I was stalling for a day, she came and said she was leaving.

She moved a few blocks away and continued to sing in the nearby church choir.

Reply to
micky

,snip>

My buddy who married Lynn was cheating on her before they were even married. He lived downstairs from me and had a girl in there.

Lynn came over and smashed every window in his apartment. It was pretty obvious the marriage was doomed.

Reply to
philo