I need another door recommendation-basement steps

Page 2 of 2

Thanks for the clarification on your OPINION, rather than facts. As for acting like a blanket, you can buy them made from vinyl, wood, aluminum, and in varying thickness. Some are fire rated. Have you looked at any recently?

I've looked at a few. The plastic plank ones looked almost acceptable to me, but I'd be looking real close at the construction of the "hinges". Have not seen any yet that I'd trust at the head end of a stairway. Have not seen aluminum ones available for residential use that would be anything close to cost effective and strong enough.The fabric style would not meet my approval for sure. I know there are some that are used as room deviders in large meeting rooms and gymnasiums but they are hellish expensive and some tend to be quite troublesome. The ones installed at a church I used to attend were far from cheap, but certainly not trouble free, and no-one involved with them would ever recommend or use them again.

Accordion doors have taken a beating, and for the most part deservedly so, but that reputation is due to the fact that the only residential accordion doors people have ever seen are the cheapest pieces of crap imaginable. There are far better quality accordion doors available. Security, acoustic, quality veneers, etc. http://www.accordiondoors.com/woodfold-accordiondoors.html
The sticky wicket in the mix is that having high quality with a lot of moving parts makes it difficult to get it even close to the price of a standard door option. There's nothing ruling out an accordion door in your application, other than possibly price and your sense of aesthetics. Your house, your money, your call - but it might be worthwhile to update your accordion door knowledge and get some pricing.