basement door

I am about to order a steel basement door from Home Depot. Existing wood door I fixed up about seven eight years ago is falling apart. It looks like I need to prepare the foundation by raising it a few inches to match the stock size. I was warned if I go custom the price increase is not worth it.

Any experience out there I'd appreciate hearing tackling such a project.

Reply to
yaofeng

It might be easier and safer to lower the height by adding some filler boards that are simply nailed to the bottom of the existing header and then finished off inside and out to match existing structure. I have used this trick several times for entry doors and storm doors.

Reasons: trip hazard with raised threshold, drainage factor in the event of flash flooding or water line break, and just a lot easier to do.

Reply to
Colbyt

Since your opening is larger than neccesary, it should be easy. Do not raise the floor to achieve your desired opening. Instead, you add material to the top of the opening to achieve the desired dimension. Shims are used between the door and the frame and the door is nailed to the frame through the shims.

there is a lot of info out there on this topic. Here is just one example:

Lawrence

I am afraid you missed my point. Or I didn't make myself clear enough. This is a steel cellar door which either open towrard to sky or slanted as you come out of the cellar to the yard. In my case it is slanted.

Reply to
yaofeng

Did you get a price quote on one the right size yet? I would. Doesn't cost to ask.

Reply to
scott21230

I understood your question just the way they did.

It opens towards the sky? What does that mean?

You have a choice between opening towards the sky and opening slanted, or it does both at different times? What do you mean by saying it is slanted? What is slanted? What does this have to do with the foundation?

Reply to
mm

Home Depot will give me the price when I order. I meant to do it two days ago before I leave for a business trip. Then I found I left the measurements in the office. So I will do it when I go back.

Reply to
yaofeng

Check the link,

Home Depot takes only Gordon basement door.

Reply to
yaofeng

Why didn't you explain this the first three times you posted? Far more people have regular doors leading to their basement than these things.

And why do you brusquely tell me to check a link, which required starting the browser. You're asking for our help, not the other way around.

Reply to
mm

Just for get the whole thing and don't bother to respond. Will'ya? Forget I even ask. Can you do that? What's the matter with you? Spurned again last night?

Reply to
yaofeng

You're in no position to ask for favors.

My gosh, start to finish, you're a jerk.

Reply to
mm