Garage side door

Helping a friend.

Garage side door is destroyed. I was asked if I could fix or replace it.

Gonna replace it. Went to Home Depot but nobody could help me that knew anything about doors other than to ask if I wanted it pre hung which I don't think I do.

I'll just "replace" it, one to one, if I can. The knob and hinges I can swap over, can't I?

It doesn't need to look exactly the same she said. It needs to be exterior/interior though. Here is a photo.

Size is 1-3/8" thick, 31-3/4" wide, and 80" tall. Owner doesn't really care if there's a window or not.

What's the process of buying a door & replacing it?

Reply to
Jim S

Better photo upload site. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Sorry about the crummy original photo site.

Reply to
Jim S

I couldn't see your photo - the web site was asking me to log in or register ... 1. how / why is the door "destroyed" ? 2. how / why is the frame * not * equally "destroyed" ?

I'd be checking out Habitat Re-Store and perhaps a couple door & window guys or renovation guys for a used one. 32 x 80 seems a common size. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I've been through this process. My side door was wood, with no storm door. So it had deteriorated pretty badly. Home Depot wanted to replace it for about $500, plus the door, and that would involve removing the door and frame, and replacing it with a pre-hung door. In my case the frame was really solid, and had some stonework around it, so I ended up buying a steel door - just the door - and paid a handyman $100 to put it in. You would want to see if the existing hardware is at the same place as the holes that are already in the new steel door. And you may have issues with weather stripping. But I think the sizes are standard. The hard part would be cutting the new door for the hinges. This is apparently simple if you've done it before and have the right equipment. Between the challenges of the hardware and the hinges, I concluded that this was a time to hire some expertise. But even so, the total cost was a lot less than what HD wanted.

Reply to
Peabody

Looks like a screen on bottom of storm door has caused weathering. It is not hard to hang a door and I would find an exterior door that fits.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You have good eyes. The aluminum screen door outside the wood door is also dilapidated. I had planned on replacing the screen for her because it's all busted (which I've never done before but it looks pretty easy to do).

I might look closer to see if that's what let all that water damage occur.

Do you think water is getting past the screen door?

I never hung a door before but if I get the right size I don't see any problem drilling the holes for the knob (I'm sure they make tools for that) and chiseling out the hinges so that they lay flush.

Reply to
Jim S

Why not get a pre-hung door? Unless you can find a slab door that is laid out exactly the same as the current one, you'll need to mortise for the hinges, drill/mortise for the lock-set, etc.

Do you have the tools for all that? Is it worth the cost of the tools and the extra work vs. just using a pre-hung door?

It's hard to tell from your images (create a free account at imgur) but if the opening isn't square, you may have lot of trouble fitting a new slab door into the existing jamb. A pre-hung door would give you the chance to get everything square and plumb. The lockset and hinges will simply "fit". Most come with weather stripping, an aluminum threshold etc.

Is there a reason you don't think you want a pre-hung door? Is expense an issue?

(BTW...I've done both and would use a pre-hung door whenever possible)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Do you have a plane? Door openings have a way of not being quite as square as the day the house was built.

Reply to
rbowman

I'd be looking for a good steel door - used if possible - and I would definitely consider a pre-hung unit

Reply to
Clare Snyder

They usually come pre-drilled and cut - and that is the beaty of pre-hung - it all fits!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have nothing against this term of "pre hung" but what does that mean to me who has to put it in? I get it that the hinges are already on the frame and the holes in the door and frame for the doorknob must be there.

But how does the pre hung door _fit_ in the old door's place?

How do you rip out the old door frame? Doesn't it cause problems?

Reply to
Jim S

Expense isn't the issue as she's paying for it anyway (although I don't want her to waste her money). I guess from what people are saying that I _do_ want a pre hung door then.

I guess I rip out the old door frame and then fit in the new pre-hung door into whatever hole is left around the two-by fours.

If that's easier, and not much more expensive, that's what I'd do then. I just came here to ask for that kind of advice.

Reply to
Jim S

I assume you have access to YouTube. I can’t imagine how many videos there must be related to installing a pre-hung door. Watch a few first, then decide.

Come on back if you any more questions, especially related to your specific situation.

Find a better image hosting site first. Try Imgur or flickr.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I would assume if you went pre-hung door, which would be sealed better than if you replaced the door yourself, would mean that you had to re-install the screen door which is also a mess. If they could do without the screen door and they were satisfied with a good exterior door that may be the best way to go.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

+1

I think some people just assume that installing just the door will be simpler, easier, less work. For the above reasons, it's typically not and you don't know how much trouble you're going to be in until you start modifying the door trying to get it to fit. In a rough opening, you can shim up the door and frame as needed, get the whole thing plumb with less work.

Reply to
trader_4

If just replacing the door, you'll find it quite tricky to get the hinges (hopefully three on an exterior door) all aligned properly.

You remove the old door and the frame and replace it with the new door and frame.

First remove the trim moulding on the exterior and interior. You'll find a small gap between the door frame and the studwall with shims to align the frame. Remove everything back to the studs and simply slide the new frame in place, shim and nail. Door openings in the studwall are usually standard sizes; measure the raw opening and take that measurement with you to the place you intend to purchase the replacement door and frame. They'll provide you with the proper size (if available for your opening).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I agree with all that, for the most part, but considering that this is a garage and we don't know how it was constructed, the OP should be prepared for surprises when it comes to the framing. I've seen some real hack work done when a garage is DIY (or even contractor) built.

I suggested checking out some YouTube videos to get a feel for how a door install is *supposed* to be done and then taking a look at how the actual framing was done and see if things match up. Be prepared to modify some of the standard steps.

As far as measuring the rough opening, one key step was left out:

- Measure the width of the rough opening in 3 places. Top, middle and bottom. - Measure the height of the rough opening in 3 places. Left, right and center. - In *most* cases the smallest measurement of each set of 3 is the one you want to use. In some cases, the current framing may be such that the smallest measurement is just below a standard size and the installer may want to consider taking steps to widen/lengthen that area so that a standard size door fits. BTDT

In some cases, such as with my basement door, a standard size door just won't fit. The rough opening height called for a 76 1/2" door. The price difference between a stock door and a custom door was beyond ridiculous, especially for a simple flat panel steel door. I bought a stock 80" steel door and cut down the jamb and door to the exact height I needed. This helped.

Marilyn Manson

Don't throw away the old door until you are done. (In fact you should never throw away old anything until you are done replacing it .) You can use the old door to show where the hinges go on the new door. You can also use crayon or lipstick or something that doesn't dry right away by painting the hinges and pushing the door up against them. But easier to use the old door.

Reply to
micky

In this case you will need a tight fit and as we all know dimensions change in house with time. I had to plane down a lot of interior doors over time.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

What do you mean by a "tight fit"?

Reply to