Filling in outside steps to basement

My dear husband has a double with some outside steps to a basement door. He wants to fill this in and eliminate both the access to and the door. I'm sure he wants to seal where the door was permanently. He was thinking about filling the space with cinder block.

I am concerned about water leaking forever into the basement. There's leakage down the steps and under the door as it is.

What would be the best way to seal where the door was and fill the hole where the steps presently are?

Reply to
montana

Close the door with cinder block, then waterproof it on the outside, then fill the hole with clay and mound it up just slightly so that water never has much of a chance to soak in.

As you point out, the steps act as a drainage plane. This will continue after they have been filled in. I would break out the steps.

The details of how one seals the door opening depend on the wall material. In

Reply to
Tom Baker