I love the way Home Depot sucks!

Page 1 of 4
I needed some wood screen doors for my cabin. After shopping around, and finding all sorts of things from $160 to $600 per, I was overwhelmed.
One day I'm in Home Depot. I had gotten the price of $160 each there, and wifey says, "Put the damn things up."
So...............
We get ahold of the door guy. Takes him about 15 minutes to appear. We ask about wood screen doors, and HOLY SMOKE, BATMAN! here's a guy that knows something about doors. Takes us straight to them.
He takes us to two 1 1/8" ash frame doors with extruded aluminum inserts with screen. He says they are $89 each, but one is damaged, and not for sale. I said to check with the manager and I'd take it if he made me a deal. The screen had pulled out on one corner. A two minute no cost repair
He disappears and comes back. He says we can have it for $50, a $39 discount. Hey, we're still under the price we got before for ONE, so we say okay. He puts them on a cart for us and scribbles something on a paper and says to give it to the cashier.
We do so. She rings up two doors at $39 each. My wife and I make eye contact, but don't say a word. We pay the girl, and then run like hell.
$320 worth of doors for $78 plus tax.
Home Depot does suck, but sometimes their stupidity and ineptness works towards my side of the fence.
Man, those doors look good on my cabin. And the price was right, too.
Steve

Your honesty was tested. And you flunked.
lee

Yeah. I remember all those times when, if I hadn't pointed it out to the cashier that they would have OVER charged me on many items. Funny why that isn't a two way street.
As to your sermon on honesty:
paraphrasing ...........
watch out for a man who says he's honest. he'll probably lie about other things as well.
mark twain or will rogers or someone. not me. HONEST!
Steve

You are either honest or you aren't. It doesn't matter what anybody else does.
CWM

And he's already told us which he is.

And never made the claim to be anything other than what I am. Unlike people here who have never cheated or taken a discount for a mistake.
There was one man like that, but he died a very long time ago.
Steve
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:58:26 -0700, "Steve B"

You have to get over the idea that it matters how honest the people criticizing you are. This is about you and how others act doesn't matter.
Are you claiming that no one who has ever done the same thing can criticize someone else for doing somethings wrong, whether it is illegal, immoral, unsafe, unhealthy, or unkind?
Because it's not true. Sometimes they are in the best position to know what is wrong.
In a few cases, there is no one else present to say what is wrong except people who have done it. Are you saying they shouldn't say anything? Someone has to speak up.
It's also nonsense when people say that if the parents when teenagers or 20's used drugs, committed vandalism, etc. they can't tell their children not to do those same things. Of course they can, if they now think that their kids shouldn't do drugs or commit vandalism. Do people who were vandals have to raise children who think there is nothing wrong with vandalism? Of course not. If that were the case, the world would get worse and worse and never and nowhere would it get better.
Back to the original topic, if people have gotten money the way you describe or outright stolen, if they've done it and don't tell people, that probably means they are ashamed, and if they haven't stopped already, being ashamed is the first step towards stopping.
What makes your case worth criticism is that you are talking about it. You weren't ashamed at all. And talking about it is worse than the original act. When you take 61 dollars that wasn't meant for you, it's a straight 61 dollars. But when you talk about it in public, you encourage who knows how many people to do the same sort of thing. So the transgression multiplies by a factor of 4 or 10 or 100. And if they see you talking, they may talk about it themselves after they do it, or even if they don't do it and only you announced that you did. So that spreads the encouragement to everyone those 4 or 10 or 100 talk to.
If one is going to do things like this, he should be ashamed of it and not tell anyone, because hearing that someone else did some thing like this makes other people jealous, of the money, and they'll want to do the same thing. It mitigates the instruction their parents or their religious teachers may have given them not to do such things.
So get off your high horse, that you imagine you are one, complaining, and learn to keep your less than right things to yourself.
I'll give you credit for not using the word hypocrite, which most people use where it doesn't apply. A person would only be a hypocrite if he, for example, acted like he had never stolen anything when he had, or acted like he didn't now when he still did.
But no one here said how honest they were, and no one was a hypocrite even if some are dishonest.

I hear people piss and moan all day every day here about Home Depot, Lowe's, and the other borgs. The reaction I got was not what I expected.
I guess people who have gotten things by mistake just haven't weighed in yet, or cared to take the time to write about their own experience.
All I've heard from are the hypocrites.
I got something at a break from a company that would have and has taken advantage of me on many previous occasions. I do not feel guilty. They fucked up big time on two sets of double doors once. As I see it, they still owe me money.
As for all the bleeding heart liberal hypocrites, preach to someone who might either buy what they're selling, or at least be interested. I'm not.
I can live with what happened. I'm an adult. I'll cope.
Steve

Yo, let's leave the liberals out of this. Most hypocrites are right-wing conservatives.
snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.edu says...

Perhaps. You have to believe in something to be a hypocrite.
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@Somewhere.edu wrote:

What's wrong with hypocrisy? The sign that says: "This way to Chicago" doesn't actually GO to Chicago itself.
No, those who accuse others of hypocrisy are simply trying to change the subject.
Steve B wrote:

Ah yes, I see that Steve believes that two wrongs CAN make a right.

Then I wonder why he's continuing to reply to posts on this thread?

What amazes me about Steve, is that he's got no shame about admitting that both he AND his wife conspired to pay less than they'd already mentally commited to paying. Those two must truly be made for each other.
I suppose in a weird way that makes Steve honest, at least about confessing how they both took advantage of a Home Depot employee's mistake. And, bragged about it right here on usenet where G-d knows who will be able to read about their "good fortune" for a loooooong time.
I express the same amazement over people who brag to me about how they're scamming the tax man whenever they can, and go into great detail to prove to me just how "clever" they are. I sure wish they'd keep it to themselves, and if they start barfing off about it, even if it's in front of a bunch of other people, I point out that a portion of what they gain by cheating on their taxes is coming out my pocket, and the pockets of everyone else who pays taxes.
I have a framed sign on my office wall reading:
There is no right way to do the wrong thing.         (Thomas Huxley 1825-1895)
It states exactly how we strive to treat our clients, and woe be it to any employee of mine who doesn't adhere to that principle.
Lecture over,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Steve is just bitter because his neighbor is pumping up his wife and he can't get any.

Look dude if you wanna take advantage of a store's stupidity, go ahead. But don't pretend it's a 2 way street. You DID point it out and you DIDN'T get overcharged.
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:49:58 -0700, "Steve B"

Absolutely.
Dishonest and stupid too if you can't see the difference.

And someone who says he's dishonest, like you diD, I'm certain lies and cheats other times too. The reason you're telling the truth is you know that no one from here is going to go after you here.

If you were honest you would have told the cashier what you and the clerk had agreed upon for the price.
You already said you told them when they were going to overcharge you. They didn't owe you any money.
BTW, neither Lee nor I said we were honest. We said you were dishonest. Your attempt to attack those who point out the truth failed because you don't read carefully or you're stupid.

This is more a question of: are you a moral absolutist or a moral relativist? A moral absolutist would be against not pointing out to the clerk that she was undercharging for the doors. A moral relativist might say: well, HD has made lots of profit off of me over the years (before Lowe's started springing up), and they provide crappy customer service, so it is not immoral for me to get these doors for this price.
I am in the moral relativism camp, myself -- seems more fair. I hate absolutes.
-
grappletech wrote:

Moral relativism, and relativism in general is easy to refute. You cannot assert it as true without setting up an absolute and thereby defeating your postion.

<snip>
Steve, two short sentences is hardly a 'sermon'. What rather surprized me is that you seem to be downright proud that you ripped off a store for around $250! Your questioning of other's honesty is simply a red herring. A distraction, not a justification.
I do hope that you are young and will develop a better conscience through the years.
Lee

I went through three employees. They stated the price and I paid it. My conscience is clear.
Steve

That's not the same story you told the first time.

That's the *really* sad part of the whole episode.
--
Regards,