I cried...

Wake up, Kurt. This is not the same Democratic party, and Obama was far from a typical Democratic Presidential candidate. McCain wasn't exactly typical of the Republican party, either.

It is pretty much the same Dem party. Barney Franks, Pelosi and same old timers are in control. Obama is hardly the only Democrat involved, even assuming he turns out to be different in the long run. Which the cynic in me is waiting to see.

Look again. They just got a new honcho. Lets wait and see how the first few confrontations go before we go jumping to completely unfounded conclusions about who is in charge and what direction we are headed. I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm very hopeful that he works out. We need to do much better than we have on so many fronts. Maybe he's the answer, and maybe he's a dud. We really don't know yet.Not even his biggest supporters know that yet. Lets give him a little breathing room to show us what he can do before we decide to bury him.

Yep, cynicism is a very positive outlook that always gets things done, and in the best way.

+1

We'll see. The honcho is at one end of Pennsylvania Ave and I am talking about the other end. Hard to think that old dogs will change their stripes (hopelessly muddle the metaphor).

Worked for me through both Dem and GOP administrations. Lots easier to be pleasantly surprised that way.

Next time, try skepticism. It's a lot more productive than cynicism.

I didn't vote for Kay Hagen (our new senator in NC) but I hope she does something for us. I wrote Elizabeth Dole on several occasions concerning things like gay marriage and flag burning constitutional amendments (don't they have anything IMPORTANT to do?) and said at the time I was concerned for the future of the party if they continued down their current path. Well, they carried on and got tossed out on their collective ass in this state for it. Do you suppose they noticed?
Elizabeth Dole ran a very negative campaign in the style of Jesse Helms (may he roast in Hell). In fact, her "godless" TV ad is credited with losing the campaign for her. That, and the fact she accomplished nothing in her 6 years in the Senate. She was good for 2nd Amendment support and that was about it.
I ramble on....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

That "godless" ad was a classic example of just how out-of-touch the Republican party has become. They actually believed that that kind of lies would still work in an election. They have gotten away with so much over the years, that they thought voters would believe anything they said if they repeated it often enough. But Americans have finally realized that they have been taken to the cleaners by the Republican lies, and they were ready for a change.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

could have been a Rep/Dem fight :o) Claimed they had the worst housing market in the world.....I'm sure they were Brits :o)

Sort of reminds me of those great Texas Democrats a few years back who left the state to hide out rather than compromise. The democratic answer is always to run from responsibility.
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:44:34 -0800 (PST), BobR

Boy, are you ever uninformed. Texas Democrats are basically Republicans. That's why it was such a joke when GWB bragged about his ability to "reach across the aisle" when he was governor in Texas. It wasn't much of a reach.
On Nov 5, 8:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Oh yes, that is what they want the majority in Texas to believe but make no mistake, they are liberal democraps in every way possible.
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:09:19 -0800 (PST), BobR

Well, when you didn't know that Texas Democrats are basically Republicans, you were merely ignorant. Now you've promoted yourself to being full bore stupid.
On Nov 6, 5:53am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Maybe you should tell the Texas Democrats that. I am sure they would appreciate it.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Once upon a time, maybe (like 1870). But at least since the days of Lyndon Johnson and Ralph Yarborough, most have been as liberal as possible.

But for election purposes they love to pretend they are conservative.

Eh? Were you here then? There was no compromise on the table. The Republicans were going to ram a gerrymandered redistricting plan down their throats. It wasn't running from responsibility, it was running for it.
The redistricting was being done in an off year (non census) for purely Republican political gain. And they didn't care what anyone else thought about it. -- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Desertion in the face of enemy fire, or going absent without leave is a classic Democratic ploy. When the Democratic members of the House decamped to New Mexico, their compatriots from Colorado made a provisioning run to bring them sustenance and succor. Several carloads of beer and peaches (I'm not making this up) sustained the crew until they could bear New Mexico not a minute longer (I think it was about two days, or until they ran out of beer).

I don't know of another time it's happened. Do you? At the time, I thought it was pretty clever tactic. The redistricting was partisan politics at its worst. The leadership was even blocking parking places for staffers of decamped representatives.

Yeah. And then they went to Oklahoma. Good gawd. How desperate can you get? They survived there a week or two. Now that's real fortitude.
-- Doug

I agree, it was partisan politics at its worst but you also have to consider that it was pretty much tit for tat since the existing districts in place at that time were so convoluted in the opposite direction that the democrats deserved what they got. They had been in control for the prior 100 years and they had been redrawing the districts to ensure democratic wins in the majority of districts. When that failed, they abandon ship.

I really laughed my ass off during that time. They looked so foolish, like a bunch of children that if they couldn't be in control...they would just quit.