I am stuck

Page 1 of 2
Hi, I was going to switch over rims/tires from summer to winter tonight. One of the rim is stuck frozen on the hub. Rocking with lug nuts loose or hitting with mallet can't loosen it up. Any suggestions to get this thing off? Or do I need a trip to a tire shop. Summer tires are on OEM Al. rims, winter ones are on steel rims

Yah need a bigger hammer.
nb

What I would do - me - not you: Back off all lug nuts 1/2 turn from contact with the rim. Drive it forward and back 10 feet until it breaks loose. Turn the wheel back and forth as you do it Brake hard when stopping backwards movement. Never tried, but that's what I'd do. A shop will put ain air hammer on it to break it loose.
--Vic

I also have aluminium wheels, they are a pain. I would loosen the lug nuts a 3/4 turn, and then drive forward in tight circles, but turning the steering wheel abruptly left and right until you hear a clunk. Essentially what Vic said, only a little more aggressive.

Will report back after trying again.It jappens to be one of the rear wheel> Hope I can finish over the week end. Two more cars to do after this one it's gonna snow any day now. Thank you all.

Mallet? I'd get at the metal part of the wheel from behind with a hammer, using a 2x4 to prevent damaging the wheel.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Last night I went out to cabin and brought 10# sledge hammer back. B4 I use it I loosened lug nuts half turn or so and drove around the block, stop-go repeat, go up and down the gutter edge. It did not work. Then I used the hammer and 2x6 lumber piece to protect the rim. One gentle but subtle whack to the rim/tire from inside out, it worked the first time. Forecast is snow on Monday. Wife will feel safer if it does snow. Long range forecast is coldest weather in 20 years. We're preparing for it. AWD + good snow tires will help us driving in, out of town. Thank you all for helpful suggestions. I used some anti-seize compound hoping it'll be easier in the spring for summer tires.

Good. Glad to hear it worked out well for you. It was probably the subtle part of the whack that did it. ;)
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:50:20 -0500, Vic Smith

off the nuts, swung like a monkey from the axle and "mule kicked" the wheel a few times. That was when I was a younger guy though.
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:51:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Whatever works. Never had a wheel stuck on so bad a couple good kicks didn't break it loose. That's dicey when it's on a stick jack. Had a rotor stuck on so bad it took many full whacks with a 15 pound sledge to get it loose. I screwed the wheel bearing doing that.
--Vic

Spay it well with Liquid Wrench or similar, let it sit an hour and bang on it again.

If ya don't have it unfrozen yet, you can try what we do on truck rims.
Have the vehicle's tire off the ground, sledge the _tire_, not the rim. Rotate tire to different positions so you're not hitting the same area. Do not take the lugs all the way off when doing this, just have them loose.

PB Blaster. Spray, then wait an hour or so. Good stuff.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Kroil, better stuff.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I get the gallon cans of regular Kroil and I fill a Harbor Freight refillable spray can from them. I'm pretty sure it's quite a bit cheaper than aerosol cans of Kroil.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I use that much. Great stuff, also works well when tapping aluminum.

"Loosen a little and drive" works, particularly on a flat BTDT When you reinstall these, put anti seize compound where the hub goes through the hole. They will pop right off next time.
On 10/19/2011 11:40 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Use a ratchet wrench, then slip a length (maybe 18-24") of iron pipe over its handle to give you greater leverage.

Re-read the OP and then tell us how your suggestion will help.

hub.