Hydro jet for clearing kitchen line

Page 2 of 3
Higgs,
I use the hot water trick. I have no knowledge of the debate on drain cleaning products. Drano was popular when I was young so I mentioned it but did not mean it as a recommendation. You should look at the products and decide if you want to use them. I've no idea what you wish me to clarify. I glanced briefly at some of the other replys but saw nothing that interested me.
Dave M.
On Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:31:18 PM UTC-7, David L. Martel wrote:

Thanks, Dave. I asked the snaker, Plumber B, (who didn't charge me to chec k the line today!) and he said there were two types of Drano. The one with sulfuric acid, he said, is basically bleach, and used for "soft" clogs, so you might as well pour bleach down drain. I haven't had a chance to check the other kind.
He strongly re-emphasized no grease down line. I don't, so I dunno why it glopped up. But I'm getting after the other person in the household, who m ight not be so careful, to keep grease out.
I will try the boiling water once a month, and hope this is it for a while.
What I like about Patrick, Plumber B (who it turns out lives nearby) is tha t he is independent, not a franchisee of a big company. He shot down every idea propo$ed by Plumber A (from Mr. $peedy), about Hydrojet, replacing pi pe, and on & on. Gave commonsense advice, and said don't wait so long to c all me.
Interesting: I asked why, if he just snaked kitchen on July 17, did it clo g up again approx s week later. He said maybe a piece got knocked loose & blocked drain. I should have called him right away.
Said he felt something break loose at 10 feet today, so that might have be en it. He answered another question asked by youse guys: Yes, he had used a "grease" type bit earlier, and yes, it did clean around the sides of the pipe.
I'm so glad family arriving tomorrow will NOT be greeted by horrible sight in driveway.
MANY THANKS TO THE PROS WHO "HELD MY HAND' THROUGH THIS MESS.
HB
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:39:09 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

A month after I bought this house, only 4 years old, I had several people come for July 4 weekend. It was hot. Noon on Saturday the AC, failed, 9PM the water failed, Noon on Sunday the electricity failed. Nothing got fixed until after they all left.
**The AC was a coincidence I guess. The little AC transformer that powered the control box failed. ***The water must have been a coincidence too, though we have had 10 of them in 30 years because the original water mains, under the streets, were not flexible like they should have been. A heavy truck pushing one against a piece of big gravel is enough to cause a leak. ****The power failed because everyone else was using their AC.

FTR, I'm no pro.
On 10/10/2013 11:39 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

said there were two types of Drano. The one with sulfuric acid, he said, is basically bleach, and used for "soft" clogs, so you might as well pour bleach down drain. I haven't had a chance to check the other kind.

other person in the household, who might not be so careful, to keep grease out.

of a big company. He shot down every idea propo$ed by Plumber A (from Mr. $peedy), about Hydrojet, replacing pipe, and on & on. Gave commonsense advice, and said don't wait so long to call me.

maybe a piece got knocked loose & blocked drain. I should have called him right away.

by youse guys: Yes, he had used a "grease" type bit earlier, and yes, it did clean around the sides of the pipe.

From my chemistry background, sulfuric acid and bleach are two very, very different chemicals. And they do very, very different things.
My experience with drain cleaners, there are basically two kinds, acid and alkalai.
Acid (sulfuric, or hydrochloric) work best on calcium lime scale. They change calcium oxide or hydroxide into calcium sulphate, or hydrochloride. Calcium sulphate is not water soluble, the hydro-chloride is. So, with hydrochloric, it changes into a chemical that washes down the drain.
This is much different than the sodium hypochlorite which is bleach.
One apartment manager near me tells me that the sulfuric acid stuff works great also on grease and hair clogs. Sulfuric acid is very dangerous to skin, eyes, etc. It also destroys natural fibers like cotton. Treat it like toxic waste, wash hands after using, etc.
The alkalai drain cleaners like "crystal drano" work by turning grease into soap, also called saponification. Crystal Drano would work on kitchen grease clogs, or soap and hair from the shower drain.
Higgs,
You generate grease and oil for your skin. When you bath it goes down the drain. Bath soap is made from grease and fat. Soap scum is a major component of drain clogs. Washing dishes is a good source of grease. Grease is hard to avoid in your drains, that's why maintenance is important. Plumber B sounds like a winner. Did he have an opinion on boiling water? What sort of maintenance did he recommend.
Dave M.

Not buying it. Sodium Hydroxide (Drano) is an alkali, not an acid so it shouldn't attack cast iron at all (indeed, it's used to clean cast iron). If it rotted out cast iron that fast it wouldn't make much of a drain cleaner.
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:42:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

When it's put on for a couple minutes and rinsed off, right?

So what could they have used instead?

No. I'll sit in Drano for months with little or no damage.

I have no idea but it *WASN'T* Drano. Maybe they used some sort of acid but if so, mom's pan was the least of the problems.

Why has no one suggested running a camera down the drain to see exactly what the cause of the clog is? Or for that matter, the condition of the pipes
On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 9:17:16 PM UTC-7, ChairMan wrote:

I have been thinking that way. Snake-er finally coming today. He has video. Will ask him. He earlier said "sometimes it takes more than one [snake]. But I agree with you; I need to know whatthehellis going on.
HB
On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:27:54 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

A friend had a plumber out for a clogged drain. He snaked, and when that didn't work, he said he had to dig up the drain pipe in the front yard.
My friend was about to pay him to do that when another friend of his told him to call the county. The county came out and snaked the part of the drain that they owned, from his drain pipe or some place, to their bigger drain. Everything fine now. County pipes. No charge.
I don't if the pipes are arranged the same way in other places. Though he lives on a street which is NOT scheduled to be widened ever, afaict. I really don't know what pipes were the county pipes.
On Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:40:22 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:

Wow! When was that? Every govt. institution so broke because of sequester that I don't know... if snaker + video doesn't do it, I may inquire. Thanks.
HB
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:11:44 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

So why would there be county pipes for each house?

2 or 3 years ago.

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:27:54 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

rom bathroom work by Plumber B. I've been letting kitchen water run into d riveway; afraid to investigate whose "fault" it is if anyone, and how to fi x problem.

ed.

Normally over [censored] years, I've only had to have it snaked every few YEARS!

1. What kind of tip did the snake have on its end? Was it a grease cutter h ead? 2. Is your vent clear? That’s the part that sticks over the roof. 3. Is it septic or city sewer? 4. Could your sewer pipe have a hole in it which would cause all the “jui ces” to leak out and leave the “solids” behind?
On Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:14:01 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

from bathroom work by Plumber B. I've been letting kitchen water run into driveway; afraid to investigate whose "fault" it is if anyone, and how to fix problem.

ised.

.

y? Normally over [censored] years, I've only had to have it snaked every f ew YEARS!

Sorry, didn't notice on either of his two trips. Will bring it up to him to day.-

Can I assume so if bathroom and washing machine work ok?

OMG I hope not. Would this apply even if bathroom and washing machine run OK? *****Pls explain; TIA. HB
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:11:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

are roughly above and below your kitchen sink, they would share the same vent. My little townhouse has 2 bathrooms above the kitchen which is above the basement laundry sink.
But it still has another vent for the powder room, only. So having two vents doesn't mean that the answer to your question isn't Yes.
On 10/9/2013 12:27 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Do a little googling on the Hydro Jet. Sounds like it is indeed the option of next-to-last resort for a lot of troublesome drainage issues, and that it can be pretty effective. Apparently, when the right head (the root rat and warthog heads were mentioned) is used with the hydrojet, it can even do a better job of root removal than the conventional root removal process w/cutter head.
It does look like prices and guarantees vary wildly. You probably want to find a few plumbers in your area that perform the service, find out what their procedure includes (for example, do they perform a before-and-after camera examination of the line), and what their guarantee is.
I guess if it were me, and if you've been quoted $2k to replace the kitchen line from the sink to the main sewer line, I'd consider hydro jetting *if* it included before and after camera inspection, came with a minimum 90 day guarantee, and if it cost no more than $500. Any more expensive than that, I'd just say the hell with it and replace the pipes.
The boiling water down the drain should be tried first. Then, any one of t he caustic drain openers. If that doesn't work, then its a plumber with a snake and camera so you can find out what's happening. Once you tell us wh at the camera shows, we can give you good advice on what to do to prevent t he problem from reoccurring.
On Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:15:21 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote :

a snake and camera so you can find out what's happening. Once you tell us what the camera shows, we can give you good advice on what to do to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
I asked Patrick if he needed to use the video, and he said it would be exp ensive & not needed. I'm still trying to get my head around an honest plum ber*, after exposure to those other expensive guys who blew me off.
He also commented that the Hydrojet is used in circumstances very different from my kitchen drain problem. Something about street connections? I was so emotional I didn't get the full sense of it -- except that the other one -- the Mr. Speedy guy who proposed using it -- either didn't know what he was doing, or was trying to game me.
*No offense, amigos, but I have been through a lot, perhaps much of it my o wn fault because I was too chicken to find out whose "fault" it was, if any body's.
You can do the boiking water in 15 minutes. Two or more gallons of boiling water will loosen up anything that may be grease related. If that doesn't work, a couple of gallons of liquid drain cleaner poured down the drain an d allowed to sit for at least 4 hours should help loosen anything short of solid metals or concrete.
If those two ideas/tricks don't work, I think it is time to pay for a video camera scan of the line, with you in attendance to see exactly what the pl umber sees. It would be good to price a couple of plumbers with cameras to see if they are at least in the same ball park.