Hurricane-proof House

Page 4 of 11
That *might* keep out the thug looters in Nawlins.
wrote in message

underwater at least a month out of the year. The entrance, power, water, etc. all came in from up the hill. The waste was pumped out to a holding tank that was emptied regularly.
It was a comfortable house too. No idea how it was constructed. I was a little young at the time or I would have inquired.

(in my best Python voice) " I would find it and fart in it!"
CWatters wrote:

Yep, that would be a great place to be when the flood waters came in. Unless, of course, your underground house is a buried submarine. :-)
Matt
Nehmo wrote:

I was just wondering about how to reinforce the front door so the cops couldn't kick it open -- even with that little battering ram they use, unless they want to keep pounding on it for 20 minutes. I think the door frame and the latch are probably more important than the actual door. Of course, it would have to have a chain so you could crack it open to talk to people on the other side if you wanted to. 5/16" safety chain? If they tried to kick it in while the door was cracked, it would bounce shut (breaking someone's foot, hopefully) and you could latch the bolt if you were fast.
An antique-looking 4 inch cannon in the front room would make a great conversation piece. Hopefully no one would ever have to find out that it was real and loaded with grapeshot.
Wood-frame construction (except for the heavy steel door frames) with lots of metal ties to hold the roof joists to the wall plates, and steel siding.
No basement, obviously.
Heavy full-sized shutters to cover the windows.
Small generator and transfer switch.
Best regards, Bob
"zxcvbob"> wrote

2x8 jambs & head and 4"x1/4" tapcons 6" o/c staggered. steel clad or solid core outswing door. triple nickel 40 threshhold. that'll stop em in their tracks.

Local Hell's Angel hangout was raided - the cops used a backhoe to open the door. The HA rebuilt with a concrete wall in front to the door so they couldn't use a backhoe again.
Mike
I dobt that a concrete wall will stop a backhoe.
"EagleMtn"> wrote

Built properly, a concrete wall can stop just about anything. Think: Hoover Dam. A backhoe is a lightweight device, all things considered.
Don wrote:

Constant, evenly dispersed pressure.

Not.
Notan

How long will it take a backhoe to get through it?

Relative to what? There are many mechanical or structurally made 10 x or more heavier than even a big backhoe.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My point is, it's not the material that's used, it's how the structure is designed.
Notan
"Notan"> wrote

Duh. Thats why I said this:

Don wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, my post was in response to Edwin's post.
I must've missed the point at which you started speaking for him.
Notan

There's lots of stuff you're missing. I'm hoping you'll catch up.
Don wrote:

As I've said before, I can respect the fact that you're opinionated, and stand firmly for the things you think are important.
But, you have this attitude, where anyone that disagrees with you is unitelligent, uneducated, and <fill in any/all of your usual descriptors>. You like to portray yourself as holier-than-everyone-else. You have *the* answer, while no one else comes close.
Maybe you've always been this way, but it's only lately that I've begun to see you as nothing more than a non-religious bible thumper.
While I'm sure that you couldn't care less about my opinions (or anyone else's, for that matter), you *don't* have all the answers.
There's lots of stuff you're missing. I'm hoping you'll catch up.
Notan
Notan wrote:

Spell-checker turned back on... That was "unintelligent."
Notan

You mean *grammer checker*.
Don wrote:

No, spell-checker.
And, that's exactly what I'm talking about... You always *think* you know better.
I *misspelled* a word, which a spell-checker would have caught.
A *grammar checker* (By the way, you should've used your *spell checker* on that one! <g>) would have told me if my sentence was grammatically incorrect.
Notan

yawn
touche'