Hurricane-proof House

So said the boy that lives in the cave. LOL

Reply to
Don

I know you are butt what am I????

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

If you have power, you can use an electric toilet..

If not, you could use some form of camp toilet, with collection bags, and store them in a larger drum when full.

You'll want a holding tank and filtering system for showers, etc using recycled water. maybe some form of solar heating? You'll also want a storage system for potable water.

Use several smaller generators that can be synced together to form a larger one if needed. Propane/natural gas provides the best long term storage, but diesel is easier to resupply, and can be hauled in drums, or jerrycans. Make sure you have a stock of suitable containers to transfer fuel. Gasoline is not a good choice for long term storage.

A storage battery/inverter system could also be used to reduce generator run times, possibly with photovoltaics, although the survivability of photovoltaics in the storm is highly questionable.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

"zxcvbob"> wrote

2x8 jambs & head and 4"x1/4" tapcons 6" o/c staggered. steel clad or solid core outswing door. triple nickel 40 threshhold. that'll stop em in their tracks.
Reply to
Don

carbon dating?

Or, maybe he tasted it?

Reply to
Don

OK, I know robin hartl's butt quite well but who is mr lee?

Reply to
Don

So true.

Reply to
Don

This is already provided, Joe Taxpayer is footing the bill.

Reply to
bluestrkchain

Thanks for that. Best laugh I've had all day.

Reply to
CW

Roughly 70%.

Why?

Reply to
Grumble

Don't live there, don't build there. You're an idiot if you do.

Reply to
Lil' Dave

A forgotten tecnique for lumber framing and putting on plywood and waferboard is to toe nail. Nails driven straight into end grain don't hold diddly. When you angle all stud wall nails, the holding power is much greater. The same with sheeting. If all of the nails are driven in at the same angle, you can knock it out with your hands, and the nails will still be in the sheet. When the nails are driven in at opposing angles, the only way to get a sheet back off is to destroy the sheet because the nails will pull through the sheet, and not come off with it. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

Here's a turn-key design, courtesy of Uncle Sam:

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

More to the point, you wouldn't be able to break ground on the house's foundation without having to deal with it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Easy.... Find a Mountain in the Rockies build a deep shaft........ Building in New Orleans disregards your own concerns. You can't account for all the possibilities of a Hurricane it's to independent and random, best you can do is work from historical data. By it's own design if a storm impacted the area, you would become an oasis, and if offering no assistance most likely you will simply be destroyed using most readily a flammable liquid.

I see you account for your own failure? And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if necessary. I'd say the best would be a hot air balloon..................

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Since everybody for the most part overlooked the obvious........ I'd say it may stand, just nothing at home upstairs!

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

^^^^ I think you wrote it above! :-)

Reply to
Matt Whiting

....my sex life is none of yoink business...

Reply to
Robatoy

"Lil' Dave"> wrote

Then there's 1/2 a million idiots living rather well here in the target zone of Lee County, Florida. You can look at history and become smarter for it, or you can go on USENET and blindly swing pointed sticks.

Reply to
Don

You mean you'd "pork" him?

Reply to