Hurricane-proof House

Only if you've got a really big freaking roof. What you really want is to replace the attic and roof with a greenhouse, so as to control pests and weather. But the people/sqft ratio is really low, until you start investing in some serious intensive gardening equipment.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Disagreement: If you're going to this length, you should use a more reasonable figure for time-to-rescue of 7 days. 72 hours is the figure used for people who are trying to do the best they can with what's available. 72 hours is what you should keep in the trunk of your car.

Reply to
Goedjn

In the case of the HA, their primary goal was to slow down, not necessarily stop the cops. The large concrete blocks in front of the concrete wall keep a backhoe at a significant distance too. All in all, the design looks like a typical US embassy or consulate.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I was talking about the dam. I'm not sure a chainsaw would be that effective... :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

| >The answer will be a storm-proof safe room built on top of this | >concrete structure. It will probably be the size of a large bathroom | >and made of steel or concrete for protection against flying debris or | >tree falls. It should be capable of being buttoned down and float | >upright like a boat should it be dislodged. At that level of storm | >intensity there is no longer any consideration of living in it to | >guard your property. All you want is to survive the perfect storm and | >get the hell out, a stay of less than 48 hours. | | Disagreement: If you're going to this length, you should use a more | reasonable figure for time-to-rescue of 7 days. 72 hours | is the figure used for people who are trying to do the best | they can with what's available. 72 hours is what you should | keep in the trunk of your car. | | |

Seems to me Noah planned for a longer stay. Also seems his structure was a bit bigger too.

Reply to
PDQ

well, here... read this:

bridger

That *might* keep out the thug looters in Nawlins.

Reply to
Steven

Just went looking for it and couldn't find it, but, a couple weeks ago my brother sent me a link for a chainsaw that cuts concrete. It might not do much regarding Hoover, but I'd still like to have one in my stable.

Reply to
Don

There are days when I feel as if I were.

Mostly, I have to go by what I read.

Reply to
PDQ

Looks like all of the major concrete buildings in downtown N.O. "survived" Katrina noting the obvious problems with windows being blown out and the roof of the Superdome falling apart.

The dumb decicions would be the placement of critical facilities at the ground (flooding level), for locating emergency generators, electrical rooms, HVAC, etc. It would seem that if these were located at higher floors to begin with, coupled with larger emergency water tanks and fuel supplies, and perhaps a 2 week pre-placed food supply, that these buildings would make nice shelters against future hurricanes (even cat. 5).

Elsewhere in the city, critical cellular and municipal communications towers should have been hardened for maximum strength and have all generators and ground facilities elevated above the flooding level.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Yeah, my brother has one of those, we used it for score cutting my driveway, and I have blades for cutting concrete/masonry for my saws. You have to wear goggles and an aspirator, lots of smoke.

Don

Guess I should have threaded ahead.....

Reply to
Don

Seems to me Noah planned for a longer stay. Also seems his structure was a bit bigger too.

You were there?

Reply to
CW

It didn't look to be made of concrete to me.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I think he read about it somewhere. I believe that story is in a book that's an anthology of sorts. ;)

Reply to
George Max

You know because my girlfirend lives in Monroe, LA she deserves nothing less than a 15,000 square foor mansion. See my new post asking about the Richardsonian Romanesque style house since my dream is to build her (&me) a huge tornado proof mansion if I ever become rich enough. But all of your ideas are good though.

Reply to
kevindreyling

More significantly, how does one prevent the flooding of the cellar or the complete destruction of the entire dwelling given a Cat 5 or Fujita

5 storm?
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Precisely my point...to do what HMFIC wants in general is a very difficult and expensive task. You can be prepared for ordinary events pretty well and make things a lot easier on yourself, but in a catastrophic situation things are likely to get out of hand for almost everybody in the affected area.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yes, when one attempts to do something inherently fool^h^h^h^hrisky, one should at least make the effort to protect the investment. It's still an area not really suitable for the use.

Those that were flooded, probably not, although what is going to be done is pretty well still in the future...

Relocated, yes. Permanent location, job? I suspect that would probably be In 20 years the only thing that will be allowed to be built around here will

As it should be if in such a location. It simply isn't a very good choice of location for building permanent structures. I've thought what folks who want to live in such places should do would be to simply build disposable houses and when the big one comes leave, planning from the beginning to simply bulldoze and start again. Be cheaper, structurally, albeit less convenient.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

No, not specifically. They have made some efforts particularly since the spate of FL hurricanes to address design issues regarding roofs, etc., for enhancing survivability. The results I've seen haven't been uniformly successful attempts as, for one example, the guidelines for upgrading asbestos shingle roofs apparently were developed and published internally or w/ consulting input but not using any input from any of the manufacturers, etc. Consequently, there are published guidelines for which there are no commercially available materials to meet.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth