Hurricane-proof House

It makes it easier to figure out where to park the house, it keeps the house from sinking wandering around during normal weather, it keeps the wooden bits away from the wood-eating dirt, and it gives you a fixed point to which you can anchor your utilities.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

As expected, the gov't staggered around like a drunken giant and the citizenry got stuff done on its own. Common people working as individuals and teams to clear the roads, clean the homes and get the power back up. The street intersections with no traffic signals and NO cops ran the smoothest. The intersections with cops directing traffic were clogged continuously. During a disaster the very last thing people need underfoot are groups of braindead, unaccountable gov't employees stumbling around.

"JerryD(upstateNY)"> wrote

Reply to
Don

Metric?

Reply to
Cato

"The length of the Ark shall be 300 cubits, the breadth of it 50 cubits, and the height of it 30 cubits. A window shall thou make to the Ark and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above." - God

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Possible, but I'd think it would be easier, cheaper, and less of a shock to the local code inspector if you build a concrete cellar... no this is N'Orleans, so there is no cellar.. I'm still voting for a concrete perimeter foundation, 12" above grade, with a 24" sealed "barge" platform as the ground floor. that gives you a displacement of 2cuft per square-foot or area, which means a total building+occupancy weight of around 120psf.. so you're limited to heavy 1-story buildings, or light 2-story ones. When you outgrow the house, though, you can jack the whole thing up 10', and build a (floodable) ground floor underneath, on the existing footings.

Reply to
Goedjn

"Goedjn"> wrote

Well, if you built a concrete boat with a flat bottom.....

Reply to
Don

I don't know, at least there was always a standard at hand (so to speak)... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"Cherokee-Ltd"> wrote

Tell god to transfer all that stuff into standard architectural dimensions, please. Thanks, Mgt.

Reply to
Don

Hey I got it ! Lets go to E bay find an old Russian nuke sub for sale . We could buy it burry it so that the con is above ground and we should be all set . Or maybe we could just dry dock it so we could float away with the surge. I think the best idea yet is to build some where that is above sea level.

Bill

Reply to
... ...

Several posts refered to placing utilities several floors above ground level. In the city of Providence (Rhode Island for those of you who don't know) Many buildings in the down town area have thier Electric Rooms two to three stories above street level. One example is Rhode Island Hospital.Many other high rise office buildings have done the same. I can't be sure of the dates but I think it was 1938 and 1954 (Carol) both storms flooded the city . Some buildigs have plaques showing the high water marks, some where around 15 feet ? Providence also has an untested Hurricane barrier consisting of two large flood gates and a pump house containg two pumps at the mouht of the Providence river. The idea is to close the gates to keep the storm surge out of the river and the pumps are supposed to pump out the risig water.There is also a series of levees and flood gates that close off streets to from a giant sea wall .

Bill

Reply to
... ...

Sure, thats better than that biblical stuff.

Reply to
Don

heh-heh

Reply to