Hurricane-proof House

Spell-checker turned back on... That was "unintelligent."

Notan

Reply to
Notan

No, spell-checker.

And, that's exactly what I'm talking about... You always *think* you know better.

I *misspelled* a word, which a spell-checker would have caught.

A *grammar checker* (By the way, you should've used your *spell checker* on that one! ) would have told me if my sentence was grammatically incorrect.

Notan

Reply to
Notan

As long as you understand the limitations.

Look into the NASA research on toilets related to manned flight to Mars.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Composting toilet. Pricier, but works just fine. Put one on the second floor to avoid the flood.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Local Hell's Angel hangout was raided - the cops used a backhoe to open the door. The HA rebuilt with a concrete wall in front to the door so they couldn't use a backhoe again.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

It isn't that they aren't there - they do exist in certain crevices in rock faces and survive in tiny microclimates. Since they aren't too mobile, your dead seal on a beach can last a long time.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

"EagleMtn"> wrote

Built properly, a concrete wall can stop just about anything. Think: Hoover Dam. A backhoe is a lightweight device, all things considered.

Reply to
Don

Ahhhh, ain't I the dumbass? (now I'm trying to figure the connection between Robin and Mr Lee) Hmmmm.....

Reply to
Don

How long will it take a backhoe to get through it?

Relative to what? There are many mechanical or structurally made 10 x or more heavier than even a big backhoe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Cameras, man, cameras.

Cops, whether local guys on the beat, DEA agents, Secret Service, swat teams, or anything, don't fear guns. They make sure they're always more heavily armed than and outnumber the people they've been told to take out.

And they don't worry too much about heavily fortified buildings. As your post states, if they find a door or wall that their battering rams can't take down, they'll use a backhoe; if that doesn't work, a bulldozer.

What law enforcement fears; what can really put a stop to what they're doing, is cameras. A single video of a cop doing something that doesn't look right, sent to the media, will be more damaging to a cop than a million guns, and a bigger impedement to their goals than a house built like Fort Knox.

I saw video today of a scuffle between cops and evacuees. One of the cops completely ignored his cohorts efforts to get a handle on the situation, and instead approached the camera-man - yelling "TURN OFF THE CAMERA! TURN OFF THE CAMERA NOW!"

Reply to
Adam Weiss

Duh. Thats why I said this:

Pay attention.

Reply to
Don

"Adam Weiss"> wrote

As the cop was armed, and was approaching the cameraman with a threatening tone, he deserved to be shot right in the face. Wouldn't his wife and kids like that?

Why would a grown man (the cop) act that way?

Reply to
Don

jeezis. Think I'll just quietly back out of this one due to being unqualified. ;-) For now.

Reply to
Don

I like the way you think.

Put a composting toilet on the second floor.

And add a rooftop vegetable garden.

And a cistern to catch rain water.

Life could be sustained indefinitely.

Would one of those transparent plastic tent/ water purifiers that they say to use if you're adrift at sea work on nasty flood waters? Or is it just for getting the salt out of sea water? Anyoone know?

Reply to
Adam Weiss

I'd warn against shooting a cop surrounded by other cops (with guns) in the face.

I'd say the camera guy should have kept rolling, braced himself, and seen if he could get the coming assault by an officer caught on film.

Easy.

He had something to fear.

Remember Rodney King? It wasn't a gun that brought the LAPD to its knees. It was a camera. Cameras are better than any other thing at capturing the truth. And when the truth is leaked about police activity, it's often rough for the cops involved.

Witness Amadou Diallo.

41 shots.
Reply to
Adam Weiss

Oh My GAWD!!

And I grew up in Valley Lee!!!!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

(snip)

Some of us a little isolation. Not all of us can stand to live in a beehive, or care to live in densely populated areas. Not slamming people that like that lifestyle, but the times I've had to live in structures like that (ie, college dorms, big-city apartment blocks), I found it highly irritating. I don't wanna hear when the neighbors flush, fight, or f**k, and I don't wanna irritate the neighbors when I turn up the TV loud. I also like sitting quietly on the back porch at dawn, trying to be still enough that the birds will come to the feeder while I am on 'their' side of the glass. Can't do that in a high-rise, or even in most condos. Suburbia has its downsides of course- mowing/raking/snow shoveling being 3 of them. If I didn't have to worry about resale, I'd live in a shack on the edge of the woods. But you have to be well off to live like Thoreau these days.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Precisely. When cops start fearing for their lives, then they may adjust their behavior. I;m not against the *concept* of cops, but I believe they have been largely perverted these days. Tazing 13 yo gurls and and handicapped old ladies, etc. You know what I mean. Most are OK but the bad ones drag all of them down. If they policed themselves a lot of this stuff would be history. But they don't, so they all suffer.

Reply to
Don

"Adam Weiss"> wrote

I hope you're not going to connect the two!

Reply to
Don

There's lots of stuff you're missing. I'm hoping you'll catch up.

Reply to
Don