How to use penetrating oil?

On Sun 04 Oct 2009 09:45:54a, HeyBub told us...

There's a Harbor Freight about 2 miles from here, and the price is cheap. I'm going to pick up a set.

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've found that the oil will penetrate the threads with a little vibration. Soak it and give it a tap with a sacrificial screwdriver

-using a small hammer. Take all the time you need...

And " give the oil plenty of time to work."

It can take days to get a head bolt out of an outboard engine that is froze and has been only in salt water :-/

Reply to
Oren

On Sun 04 Oct 2009 02:47:35p, Oren told us...

Thanks, Oren. Good tips!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

They are handy, and are about the only thing in the world that will take out that 3/8" dia. x 1/4" long screw that is in the body of a starter motor. Handy devices but you have to use them first before you gum up the threads too bad. And a GOOD one is about $20. Others about $10. I use mine less than one time a year, but when I need it, it works every time.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sun 04 Oct 2009 05:00:20p, SteveB told us...

Thanks, Steve. I'm going to pick up a set tomorrow.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I had to remove an alternator from my boat. It was down on the bottom of the I/O engine and since the bilge had flooded, salt water got on the bolts. I got one out OK but the lower one was "frozen" Big Time.

After much wrenching and almost totally rounding off the bolt head, I decided to try the Penetrating Oil/ Tap Tap method. I went down there each night after work, re-applied the oil and gave it a few good raps with a hammer. It took a week but finally I got it off.

Reply to
Rudy