how to unlock desk

Page 1 of 2
My wife bought a 2nd hand counter and one of the drawers is locked with a desk typ[e of lock, (little thing with a 3-digit number on the face). She was not given the key.
Is there any way to unlock this short of using a hacksaw blade to cut it open?
I got rather good at it using a couple of paper clips.
Check the manufacture of the lock, they should be able to supply a key based on the number.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Any locksmith store will be able to make you a key. Just give them the mfg name and the code.

go to a locksmith and give them the 3 digit code. they'll cut you a key. Chip
As a locksmith with 17 years in the field, I assure you many lock professionals can make another key for you.
--
Christopher a. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hi George!
GW> My wife bought a 2nd hand counter and one of the drawers is locked GW> with a desk typ[e of lock, (little thing with a 3-digit number on the GW> face). She was not given the key. GW> GW> Is there any way to unlock this short of using a hacksaw blade to cut GW> it open? Or a locksmith may be able to open and provide a replacement key based on the numbers.
Otherwise you should be able to drill out the lock. Start with a small bit and keep increasing bit sizes until the tumblers are drilled out.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* And next time you wave try using all of your fingers!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

I've drilled out dozens of locks on pinball and arcade machines. (When they are resold, they often come without keys - I wasn't breaking into them. )
If you are talented, you may be able to pick the lock. I'm not - so I did the drill method, with good results.
-don

Actually, both. I'm very talented.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

CBHvac wrote:

Learn how to talk. Then tell us sumthin we don't know already.

Proof. Put up or shut up.

Tell us sumthin we don't know already.

Tell us sumthin we don't know already.
newsgroup_moderator@world_headquarters.com wrote:

<yawn> get lost bozo..

a man with few words is useless in AHR get lost Artie Boy!
3rd Generation @ clicktosuck.com
CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
<snip>

Should have said "Many trades" since he has made what now? 3 different claims?
NOI
"George W. Logue" wrote:

Blow torch

Instead of focusing on the lock itself, can you not remove stuff *around* it?

I had the same problem with an old metal file cabinet. I just drilled thru the lock. I could have bought a new lock at a hardware store for less than $5, which is probably cheaper than a locksmith, but I dont need a lock on it when I just use it to store junk.
If you drill, start out with a 1/4" bit and go to a larger size from there.