How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

Good grief. Anybody that passed science class in elementary school can MAKE a magnetized screwdriver in seconds!
All you need to do is drag the screwdriver tip across a magnet a few times. Just make sure to drag it in the same direction each time, and use a strong magnet like one from the back of a speaker.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 30, 3:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Holy cow!
We've gone from screwing a can to a shelf to dismantling a sound system.
Ya gotta love this group!
Add pictures here
✖

My screwdriver magnetizer is a pair of magnets held together with two o-rings. Dragging a screwdriver across it will demagnetize the screwdriver.
I dragged a screwdriver across a strong button refrigerator magnet in two ways. Neither magnetized it. I dragged it across a flat rectangular refrigerator magnet. It still wouldn't pick up a steel paper clip.
Sticking a screwdriver through the hole in a speaker magnet would probably work, but I don't know how strongly a given speaker magnet would magnetize a given screwdriver. I can count on the inexpensive device I bought for the purpose. It has a hole an inch long.
Add pictures here
✖

#1 is the only one you'll need, but I'll toss out a few extras.
1- Use Scotch tape the hold screw to the screw driver tip.
2 - Use Velcro on the bottom of the can.
3 - Balance the screw on the tip of the screwdriver. Turn the can upside down, screw the screw through the can. Holding the head against the bottom of the can with the screwdrive, flip it over and put the screw in the hole in the shelf. Screw it down.
4 - Stop being so clumsy.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

-snip-
$20 shouldn't break the bank- I'd buy a magnetic electric screwdriver-- or magnetize a screwdriver. -snip-

40 years ago I would have farted around for hours like you're doing-- and frustrated the hell out of myself in the process.
Now, if I was in your situation, I'd wait until the next time I'm in a department, hardware, or big-box store and buy myself the right tool for the job. Depending on how I felt that day it might be a $100 screwdriver set with a gazillion fittings to drive everything from screws to nuts-- or a $1 magnet to magnetize my old beat up screwdriver.
if I was in a rush, I might try a little beeswax on the head of the screwdriver to see if it would hold the screw. [or slap a refrigerator magnet on the screwdriver, near the tip. That might magnetize it enough to hold a screw]
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Hey, that's a good one!
Since I got stung by a big bee last week, with life-long allergic reaction causing ear to swell way up, and then a course of antibiotics, there's got to be a hive nearby, full of beeswax!
Super idea -- I'm not even going to read the rest of the thread, I'm heading out right now to go find it!
THANK YOU!
David :-)
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/29/2010 10:27 PM, David Combs wrote:

Go to Office Depot and pick up some double sided sticky foam tape. It comes in different thicknesses or you can layer it. I have tons of the stuff because it comes with all kinds of telecom gear that I have installed. It can be amazingly strong when used correctly. I can't imagine that your pencil holders will be subjected to extreme forces requiring epoxy or mechanical fasteners. Heck, use Velcro so you can easily empty any crap that invariably collects in pencil holders.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

That would be my suggestion. Velcro strip wrapped all the way around the can and a piece on he wall and it's done. You can put the can back with your eyes closed. I use those small red plastic coffee cans. Light and hold a lot.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, that velcro-on-the-BOTTOM idea is really good.
Now the wrap-AROUND-the-can (and stick to the wall) -- that opens other possibilities of where to put the can!
And leaves me more room for books, too!
David
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/30/2010 6:06 PM, David Combs wrote:

I use a lot of Velcro when installing network systems. The patch cables often have to be moved around and on some of the devices I use adhesive backed Velcro so the items can be repositioned on a backboard or side of a rack. It can save an expensive piece of equipment if someone snags a cable.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

I have a roll of carpet tape for those situations. Cheap and double sided.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 29, 11:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Get a strong magnet and stick it to the shaft of the screwdriver.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

Yep, good idea (ditto for other identical ones before in thread). And I've got a really STRONG one on the refrig door.
David
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/30/2010 7:08 PM, David Combs wrote:

Can you glue the magnet to the shelf to hold the can?
MikeB
Add pictures here
✖

That's funny, you read 13 replies and didn't notice that I suggested that in the 8th reply.
Add pictures here
✖

Actually, I'd prefer that you second my first suggestion.
A small piece of tape holding the screw to the driver allows for the positioning of any screw at any angle, even straight down - no balancing required.
Sure, you need an extra piece of "equipment" (tape) but that's a trick I've been using since my days as an Electronics Tech in the USCG many (many) years ago.
The screwdrivers with the claws work pretty good too, but the tape allows for access to much smaller areas.
Add pictures here
✖
Or, put a sheet metal screw through the shelf from the bottom.
Make the pilot hole in the can.
Screw the can down over the sheet metal screw. Most likely friction with the wood will keep it from turning. But if not, hold it with a screwdriver. The advantage of this method is easy removal.
But that's not how I'd do it.
I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.
Add pictures here
✖
Use your framing nailer and toenail it to the shelf.
Add pictures here
✖

Probably a good suggestion, but I (no carpenter, me) have no idea what you're talking about.
What's a "framing nailer", and also to "toenail" somelthing?
(No answer, and I'll go to my expert friend, wikipedia, and get it there.)
Thanks!
David
Add pictures here
✖
TimR wrote:

Gorilla Glue also seems to be removable. It sets up in a couple of hours.
Long ago, I spent a dollar or two on a screwdriver magnetizer at Radio Shack. That way I can magnetize my favorite screwdrivers when needed.
Add pictures here
✖