How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

I like it!

Reply to
Bob Villa

And rent a longer screwdriver!

Reply to
Tony

Gorilla Glue also seems to be removable. It sets up in a couple of hours.

Long ago, I spent a dollar or two on a screwdriver magnetizer at Radio Shack. That way I can magnetize my favorite screwdrivers when needed.

Reply to
J Burns

Good grief. Anybody that passed science class in elementary school can MAKE a magnetized screwdriver in seconds!

All you need to do is drag the screwdriver tip across a magnet a few times. Just make sure to drag it in the same direction each time, and use a strong magnet like one from the back of a speaker.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Holy cow!

We've gone from screwing a can to a shelf to dismantling a sound system.

Ya gotta love this group!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

HEY, that's pretty cool!

It's those obvious ones that I never think of!

Thank you!

David

Reply to
David Combs

But a sheet-metal screw is pretty flat at the biting-end, not tapered-down like a wood-screw. So how do I make it grab the wood as (trying to) screw it into the wood?

David

Reply to
David Combs

Hey, that's a good one!

Since I got stung by a big bee last week, with life-long allergic reaction causing ear to swell way up, and then a course of antibiotics, there's got to be a hive nearby, full of beeswax!

Super idea -- I'm not even going to read the rest of the thread, I'm heading out right now to go find it!

THANK YOU!

David :-)

Reply to
David Combs

Yeah, that velcro-on-the-BOTTOM idea is really good.

Now the wrap-AROUND-the-can (and stick to the wall) -- that opens other possibilities of where to put the can!

And leaves me more room for books, too!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Yep, good idea (ditto for other identical ones before in thread). And I've got a really STRONG one on the refrig door.

David

Reply to
David Combs

Can you glue the magnet to the shelf to hold the can?

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Yes, this idea was suggested once before, way up in the thread.

THANK YOU!

But a problem now comes to me:

AD I put the can, now right-side-up, down near the wood, I can't SEE the wood-hole. Not even with a flashlight, because the angle-of-view is too nearly flat.

And sliding around the can, with the screw sticking out the bottom, feeling for the hole, won't work for me,' because the wood (pine) grabs onto the screw-point wherever it hits the wood.

(Were the surface steel, no sweat, since the point would slide freely until falling into the hole.)

David

Reply to
David Combs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't understand that part. More explanation?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Probably a good suggestion, but I (no carpenter, me) have no idea what you're talking about.

What's a "framing nailer", and also to "toenail" somelthing?

(No answer, and I'll go to my expert friend, wikipedia, and get it there.)

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Hey, THAT'S scary! "REMOVABLE"? Geez, I've been RELYING on that stuff sticking FOREVER!

Too bad, the Radio Shack of long ago has no resemblance to the Radio Shack of today! Man, I have this big (analog, of course) VOM that I bought whata, 40 years ago, 50?, and it still works PERFECTABLY today.

No longer possible.

Reply to
David Combs

I think so! Pretty good thread I started!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Wrong. I need a thiner (thinner? How about "narrower"?) hand.

David

Reply to
David Combs

re: "I can't SEE the wood-hole"

You know, this is getting scary.

You keep knocking the can off the shelf, you can't find the hole in the shelf, you can't get the screw in the hole in the can, etc. etc. etc.

What exactly do you do in this shop of yours?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've found it to be strong, but soft enough to cut loose.

It looks as if Ace Hardware has the same item for $2, and they'll ship it to you for another $3.

To magnetize a screwdriver, you need one pole near the tip and the other pole up the shaft. I think a bar or horseshoe magnet would work but not a refrigerator magnet.

The device I purchased doesn't have much of an external magnetic field, so it minds its own business in my toolbox until I need it.

Occasionally, magnetism in a screwdriver is a nuisance. I have used the tool to demagnetize, but laying a screwdriver on a transformer is probably more effective.

Reply to
J Burns

I use a lot of Velcro when installing network systems. The patch cables often have to be moved around and on some of the devices I use adhesive backed Velcro so the items can be repositioned on a backboard or side of a rack. It can save an expensive piece of equipment if someone snags a cable.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas