How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

I have one of these in a pouch on my tool bag.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My screwdriver magnetizer is a pair of magnets held together with two o-rings. Dragging a screwdriver across it will demagnetize the screwdriver.

I dragged a screwdriver across a strong button refrigerator magnet in two ways. Neither magnetized it. I dragged it across a flat rectangular refrigerator magnet. It still wouldn't pick up a steel paper clip.

Sticking a screwdriver through the hole in a speaker magnet would probably work, but I don't know how strongly a given speaker magnet would magnetize a given screwdriver. I can count on the inexpensive device I bought for the purpose. It has a hole an inch long.

Reply to
J Burns

Geez...

Use a nail. Put a block of wood on it and hammer the damned thing in.

Reply to
dadiOH

re: "hammer the damned thing in"

He can't. There are other things on the shelf that keep falling off when he uses the hammer. He can't secure them because he can't get the screw into them either. He can't hammer them in because the pencil can keeps falling off when he uses the hammer.

It's a vicious circle.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Depends on your age. Think Bubble-Gum. Or Denture Adhesive.

Reply to
HeyBub

rt. =A0More explanation?

You are fixated on putting the screw inside the can pointing down.

Instead, put the screw through the shelf pointing up.

The advantage is you have plenty of room to work and good visibility.

Pick a screw long enough to stick up maybe a half inch (or centimeter if you're so inclined) past the shelf. I'm thinking a sheet metal self tapper would be a good choice.

Then make a small hole in the can, just big enough to insert the tip of the screw. You'll be able to find the hole with the screw easily, you can feel when you get to the right spot. Once you have the hole in the can over the screw, just twist the can and it will screw itself down over the screw. Sheet metal self tappers are designed to thread themselves into thin metal.

If you ever need to remove it, just grab the outside of the can and unscrew it.

Doing it the other way, with the screw inside the can, means you have the same problem removing it as you did getting it on.

Reply to
TimR

I suspect you are just trolling but...Every sheet metal screw I ever saw has a point on it. I also don't get the 'drill a starter hole'. Geez this project calls for a small screw. I wouild even use a "drywall" screw. As for the 'screwdriver to short" Give me a break!

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Actually I suspect the real reason for not using a hammer is that he doesn't know how.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I have a roll of carpet tape for those situations. Cheap and double sided.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

,

I think he's referring to a self-tapping screw. They don't have a pointy end.

I always use pilot holes. It makes for a stronger connection. If he's using self-tapping screws, it's sorta mandatory. Well, either that or a checkup from the neck up. ;-)

"We're gonna need a bigger screwdriver!"

Reply to
krw

Oh. One of those. Like the blonde who wants you to work hard so you can buy her stuff then complains because you don't spend anytime with her.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah..like that. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How about take the shelf down?

Reply to
Metspitzer

I know! Use a square 1/4" bit to drill a square hole through the bottom of the can and the shelf. Then stick a 1/4-20 x 1-1/4 carriage bolt in the can, lower it into the hole in the shelf, and apply a nut under the shelf!

Reply to
J Burns

Scotch tape the screw to the screwdriver, when done just pull it out and the tape will come along (or stay in the can and then use a needlenose. Works great.

Reply to
phaser5