how to repair sink disposal

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 17 Jul 2005 01:29:17 GMT "Zwanz of Never" posted:

What brand? InSINKerators come with a wrench so you can turn the armature from below, until the thing is unstuck. Do any other brands still depend on a broom stick?

Turn the power off first, and if later, it no longer hums, it may be that you tripped an internal breaker. There may be a red button to reset that. What brand?

And it probably shouldn't have happened a lot before. You can't put just anything down a disposal. Some things will clog it. That's why God gave us garbage cans.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I remember this happened a lot in my old apartment, the maitenance dudes would come in and fix it in a jiffy. Now that I own a small studio, don't want to spend money - when I flip the switch I hear a "noise" but the disposal doesn't work...as if the motor works but somehow it is stuck or stalled. Any idea on how to repair?

Reply to
Zwanz of Never

Some have an socket on the bottom for an Allen tool. You just move it back and forth until free. It is also possible to stick a broom handle inside and catch it on the protruding wings on the flywheel and un-jam it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They also make a tool that you can use instead of a broom handle that works well. It's pretty cheap, about $3 when I bought mine 20 years ago. They sell them at HomeDepot & Lowes in the plumbing department.

Reply to
Vic Dura