How to Remove This

I put up heavy plastic panels on my windows during hurricane season using 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. They worked fine but I now have aluminum shutters and don't need the plastic anymore. Getting the fasteners off has been hard. The fastener comes off but leaves a thick goo. I have tried paint thinner, acetone, Goo Be Gone. and gasoline...they help a little but it's still very hard. Does anyone know what I can use to make this easier? Thanks. (I did call 3M and was told they make a goop remover but it's not available locally and it comes in large industrial size containers.)

I've found Xylene to be very good at removing many goops as well as dried latex paint. It will melt some plastics. Available in qts & gals. Also I believe it's the main ingredient Goof Off. Goof Off has some other stuff in it but the Xylene should be a lot less costly if you need volume.
wd 40

spray 9

Wd 40 works on most things IMO

I don't think so in this case. The adhesive used on Dual Lock is a very high strength acrylic that is designed to even adhere to lightly oiled metal! It's going to be VERY hard to remove without damaging what's under it.
A heat gun and a scraper might work, but the OP should be prepared to refinish the window frames afterwards.

Sounds like it's time to break out the sander. If you still have some of the paint, just touch up when you're done. If you don't have the paint, things become more problematic.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Try a local autobody shop supplier that handles 3M products (most all do). They will have convenient quantities of 3M adhesive remover that ought to do the trick. Give the stuff ample time to soften the glue before scraping. Good luck.
Joe