How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with common tools?

Page 1 of 3

Hi,
I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:
1. Make a 3" quarter round, or 2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x profile.
I have a table saw and a band saw.
Thanks,
Aaron

If the table of your bandsaw can be tilted 45 degrees from the horizontal, cutting the triangular profile is trivial.
Cutting a quarter-round profile cannot be done in a single operation, but you can get there with a series of steps, using the bandsaw. Draw the profile you want on the end of the board, then make straight cuts at various tilt angles to approximate that profile. Finally, smooth it with hand tools such as a plane, spokeshave, drawknife, or file (or a combination of those).
There is no safe way to do this on the table saw.
Aaron Fude wrote:

Get a 3" piece of PVC and cut it in half lenghwise. Duct tape it to your stock.
Feed the whole shebang through your table saw with the PVC against the fence. Rotate the stock slightly and do it again. And again. etc.
Ultimately you'll have a 3" half-round. Cut in half.
I have no idea whether this will work.
<snip of unadulderated speculative BS)

It will work quite well if you are hoping to make a visit to the emergency room with a PVC/wood stake through your liver.
Yet, again, your screamingly obvious absence of good sense or experience fails to prevent you from posting.
Elrond Hubbard wrote:

Heh! I bet you've never made a circular cut out on a table saw.
And I have a great deal of common sense; I figured out, on my own, that one should not drink the pickle juice until all the pickles are gone. This prevents being hit in the eye by a pickle. (Except for pickle slices of course. No hazard there.)
Bet you didn't know that!
says...

Are you making some large 'trim' and don't need a specific profile? Because you can make 3" cove molding OK, but not quarter round. Look up the methods for making a cove cut with a table saw, basically you run the stock over the blade at an angle. You could cove each side of the 3x3 stock then quarter it on the bandsaw. I've done it on my radial arm saw and it works quite nicely.
--
Dennis

Aaron Fude wrote:

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here... http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v156-0102
B. Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round
C. Use a lathe _________________

A. Tilt bandsaw table
B. (better IMO) Make an auxiliary table with a cradle of two pieces mounted at 90 degrees to each other and 45 degrees to the table, use on either bandsaw or table saw. On table saw, cut in two passes; i.e., depth at 1 1/2" or less, cut once, flip vertically, cut again.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round. That will make a 1-1/2" quarter-round.

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round either.

Neither will that.
Doug Miller wrote:

Let me see...if I use a 3/8" radius quarter round bit on a piece of wood 3/4 x 3/4 I wind up with a nice piece of 3/4 quarter round. Seems to me that a 1 1/2" radius bit appled to a piece of 3x3 would yield a 3" quarter round. No? ___________

Whoops, see below... ______________

Will too. He just has to glue up four pieces of 3x3 before turning :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

No, you don't.

No.
Doug Miller wrote:

Right. I'm going to stop reading groups early in the AM.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Heh - this is getting pretty messy. :)
A while back I needed four 3" radius corner pieces and I routed 'em from a 2x4, which gave me a nice quarter round without the 90 corner.
I used a 1" round nose bit and took a photo about halfway through the process. I just uploaded it to
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/DSCN1386.JPG (It's a sizable file, so you may want to skip if you have a dial-up connection) so you can see the chips flying.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Last time I needed a 3" quarter round for a mold, got a plywood quarter round from Anderson International here in town.
They are on the web.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

That works too, but I'm willing to bet they charged more than the 22/ft I paid Menards. ;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

You lose that one.<G>
It was from the reject pile and considered a donation to the boat building project.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

An excellent gloat! (You suck)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Consider it a "Cast thy bread upon the water" moment for them.
Buy a LOT of Finnish birch from them, don't even think about shopping it.
Lew
On Oct 1, 8:08am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:
lid.com> wrote:

re: > >C. Use a lathe

Sure it will. You just have to make sure you lift your turning tools at the correct times. <g>

OK, wise guy, back atcha -- tell me how you're going to mount that between centers to get the 3" radius the OP wanted. <g>
"RicodJour" wrote:
It is not impossible. Like Derby said, you just have to synchronize the in and out feed with the rotation. Effecting this is left as an exercise for the reader.
Think cam and a follower.
Lew