How to Cut a Hole in a Mirror

I'm just finishing out a new bathroom and my bride would like a full mirror behind the vanity. This will require cutting a hole in the mirror for the wall mount light. I know I can get a glass company to make the mirror and can think of several possibilities for DIY as well:

1) Take a new glass cutter and score a circle, then try to tap it out. 2) Drill four holes with a ceramic/glass bit, score between them, and tap it out. 3) Drill a bunch of holes on the outline of the hole and break the glass between them.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

You will never get a scored piece of glass out cleanly, particularly if it is not a straight line. Most likely the crack will propogate where you dont want it (they do make it look so easy in the movies). Try a carbide hole drill bit (they make them up to several inches in diameter), that may just do the trick, but be careful about tearing up the mirror coating on the back when you break through. Alternately you could try drilling one hole with a carbide bit and then slowly saw the hole out with a carbide rod saw combinded with a coping saw frame. This works quite well if you flush with water as you cut for lubrication and debris removal. If you are using a flange to cover the hole then you will be in good shape, otherwise you will have to polish the rough edges with a diamond tipped Dremel bit or similar. Either way you go, practice once on a scrap piece of glass or old mirror. You probably wont be lucky on the first shot.

Reply to
ceraboy

Or as is more likely (especially in my case), you'll get lucky the first time, think "Hey, this is easy," and then ruin the good mirror.

Pete

Reply to
PJS

If you're going to have a glass company make the mirror, then have them make the hole at the same time. Less hassle on your part, and they get to make the "mistakes." Give them good measurements and it will be a piece of cake.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

(snip)

What he said. Ever look in the dumpster behind a glass company? Even pros screw up a lot, and they do this every day. Cost of doing business for them- one reason mirror/specialty glass prices are so high. After you bust the first blank and have to go back for another one, the price for them to cut the hole will seem cheap. Give SWMBO a choice- either pay for the glass company to make the mirror, or move the lamp to the adjoining wall or the ceiling.

IMHO, of course, and YMMV. Who knows, maybe you have the touch.

aem sends.....

Reply to
ameijers

That'd me be crawlling around in the 140 degree attic moving the light. Don't think that's a great option.

Not this boy. I'd ace the practice pieces and bust the mirror.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Reply to
Michael Baugh

See the thread on peep holes. You don't have to cut a hole, just scratch the silver backing off in a small spot.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

How does this help you get the light fixture through????????

Reply to
ceraboy

Only one suggestion. Have the glass company make the hole.

How much is the mirror going to cost and how many will you need to practice on?

OK, two suggestions. Make the mirror lower that the fixture. Mine is about

3" below the box and it still goes over my head. Ed
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Better is a diamond coring bit made for cutting holes in glass. Best is to let a glass shop do it since they have the tools and the experience.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I second that. I had them cut some holes in a mirror for me and it wasn't that expensive, but I did buy the mirror from them.

Reply to
Greg