Kenmore washer acting strange

I have a Kenmore belt drive washer that is acting strange. I will load the clothes, start it up and after a few minutes the clothes wil migrate to one side of the tub causing the washer to become unbalanced. My imbalance switch is not working properly because as the tub contacts the switch it wil momentarily cut off but then the washer will cut right back on again. This will go on until I stop the washer, untangle the clothes from the agitator and redistribute the load only for the same scenario to repeat itself. I know that the imbalance switch is supposed to cut off the machine and buzz and not start back up until the problem is rectified so the switch is bad, but I don't think that is causing the washer to make the clothes to move to one side and entangle themselves with the agitator. So if anyone out there can help me that would be great. If this is any help the washer is about 12 or 13 years old, give or take.

Richard

Reply to
rburge58

Richard-

The only thing I can think of is to make sure that your washer and the basket are both hanging level. After this many years, one of the support rods might have rusted off. In my washer, two rods hang down in front and suspend the basket while a third triangular piece balances the basket on the top right corner. Chances are the top is hinged at the back and you can raise top to geta better look. BTW - If you decide that your washer is dead, does your washer have a fabric softener/detergent/bleach dispenser? Mine is clogged up and a replacement part is $80.

Reply to
Ethan

Add another ten years, give or take. Kenmore went to direct drive in about

1983. Kind of sounds like the agitator is not going back and forth but turning one direction, only. A low water level might cause similar problem.
Reply to
Tom

Hi,

Model#? Kenmore is made by a few different companies.

Too low of water level Agitating in one direction only Spinning while agitating Too many clothes for the water level The water is draining out while agitating

Above are some trouble makers for clumping the clothes together.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff