How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

Page 2 of 3

Prolly
Add pictures here
✖
You tell em, Sherrif!

Prolly
Add pictures here
✖
A courteous reply on Usenet? There oughta be a law.

Thanks for the comment Stormy. You aw-'ite.
Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, October 1, 2012 1:45:12 PM UTC-4, Smitty Two wrote:

More annoying than, "my *whatever* needs replaced?"
It's, "needs replacING," or, "needs TO BE replaced," people.
Or, the interchangeable use of "there, their, and they're?"

Yes.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 2, 12:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I like your answer better then his. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

I was going to pick on your choice of "yourself," but I guess I'll just criticize your sentence structure instead.
Add pictures here
✖
Hopefully, I won't do anything else stupid with?
I was going to pick on your choice of "yourself," but I guess I'll just criticize your sentence structure instead.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/01/2012 07:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If it's going to be covered by a plate or cover of some type (and it would need to be unless you want to make another post asking about how to get rid of pests from the attic), a circular drill pattern would work, but I'd just spend the $15 at HF and buy the set of hole saws.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖

The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12 w/coupon.
Thanks!
Add pictures here
✖
I got some HF metal cutting hole saws -- totaly useless. You may do better with one from HD or L.
The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12 w/coupon.
Thanks!
Add pictures here
✖

I would think most metal cutting hole saws would be useless. But, my HF hole saws have done me right through wood.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need to use the RIGHT tools!
I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be a LOT more expensive that what you would save not using the correct tools.
*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and the electric drill starts to turn your body in a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)
Add pictures here
✖

Back off the pressure and take my finger off the trigger is what I do Works every time.
Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, October 1, 2012 12:43:18 PM UTC-4, Atila Iskander wrote:

Let's say the drill is turning 600 RPM. That gives you 1/10 of a second to react, while standing on a ladder 28' in the air. Good luck with that.
Add pictures here
✖

You would rent scaffolding to cut one hole? Having never rented scaffolding, my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just call a contractor and have him/her cut the hole.
Add pictures here
✖
In article <994195072370824073.403230teamarrows-

Yes and I would rent a bucket truck to saw off one branch of a tree if that was the safe way to do it. Businesses will rent a man lift to replace one burned out light bulb if they have a high ceiling lobby.
Workers also use PPE or "Personal Protective Equipment" to protect themselves from being injured. Respirators when painting, eye protection, ear protection, safety harnesses attached to ropes so if they fall, the rope will hold them up, etc.
The general idea is to not get injured while working - even if drilling "just one hole" or sawing "just one branch".
I know a guy who fell off a ladder and is now a paraplegic - rides around in a wheel chair.
Ladder injuries and ladder safety... http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Topics/AtoZ/LadderSafety/default.asp
Add pictures here
✖

Michael Vick is wearing a kevlar vest to protect his ribs.
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/02/2012 08:19 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

Yeah I heard that last night, and it puzzled me. Kevlar is very good for stopping object penetration without the weight penalty, but what kind of penetration is it intended to prevent when used as a ribcage protector?
Jon
Add pictures here
✖

I assume it isn't to prevent penetration, but simply to distribute, over a wider area, any shock from a blow to the ribs.
Add pictures here
✖

Or protect from dog bites.
Harry K