how to connect a generator

Yes, it is. So is pole climbing and crossing the street.

Regardless, there is NO excuse for using a generator improperly.

As someone else said: With the genset running outdoors, run a heavy extension cord into the dwelling and branch-off other cords to vital equipment.

Unless a PROPERLY installed transfer switch is used, leave the house wiring ALONE!

Common line safety practices include insulating gauntlets, commoning all conductors and bonding them to ground.

Anyone that backfeeds to the grid during an outage DESERVES to have their genset FRIED!

JR

26-yr lineman
Reply to
Jim Redelfs

I don't know how practical it would be with 2400V, but for home work I use a voltmeter to make sure my line is dead, and as a final check I short the line briefly. No sparks, line's dead.

The short might sound stupid, but (1) I know when my voltmeter is lying, and (2) a live body can call the fire department, a dead one can't call an ambulance.

Reply to
clifto

I too intentially short all lines in my home before working on them! Every now and then I get a big surprise:(

found a bad breaker that way, the wire melted and the breaker never tripped

Reply to
hallerb

Not if you also disconnect the main line from the utility pole.

Reply to
Oliver Costich