How to clean a insta-hot water reservoir

I have an insinkerator insta-hot water dispenser in which the water has gotten a funky smell to it.

The filter has been replaced, but the smell is clearly coming from the reservoir. I disconnected everything and drain the reservoir (in which the water definitely smells bad). What's the best product to clean this thing out? My water has a lot of minerals and a fair amount of rust in it, which was evident my examining the reservoir. So I can pour stuff into this thing, but what will dissolve all the crap that's in it?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Personally, I'd contact the manufacturer for this info.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Vinegar. Let it sit for an hour, then flush out.

Bob F wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

Vinegar will help dissolve some mineral deposits. You can also use the cleaner sold for coffee pots.

Also may want to disinfect, especially if the smell is musty/moldy. Unplug or turn off power, fill with weak solution of chlorine laundry bleach and water, let sit for 30 minutes or more, and then flush until bleach odor is gone.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Some of these units have copper tanks. Some are plastic. I'd be really careful about using bleach for any significant time on copper. For that matter, the heating elements in the plastic ones could be destroyed by it also.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Diluted bleach is routinely used to disinfect water systems, particularly well water systems. Copper will react with highly concentrated chlorine bleach, but it is a very slow reaction, especially at room temperature. 30 minutes with diluted bleach will do no harm whatsoever.

I've not seen an insta-hot with a plastic tank, although many have plastic shrouds. If the heating tank itself is plastic, then I'd check with manufacturer for disinfection instructions.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin