How to Afford Gasoline in 2012

Page 2 of 2

And most of the studies indicated that it cost more money in unemployment payouts than it took in.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

How about riding a bike? No more traffic jam and a lot less fat which in the end makes people ride faster.
On 3/28/2012 9:02 PM, Pin wrote:

My 24 foot extension ladder just won't fit on a bike. ^_^
TDD
I'm looking forward to a contractor company, some where, using only GM Smart cars. Of course, it's for the children. However, it takes 10 men and 10 smart cars to carry what one man can carry in a panel van. And, it takes two for a ladder, one Smart car on each end of the ladder.
On 3/28/2012 9:02 PM, Pin wrote:

My 24 foot extension ladder just won't fit on a bike. ^_^
TDD

The Smart car is not GM. It's made by Daimler nowadays. My nephew was driving me as the passenger in one of them over roads in the suburbs of Paris. Despite the ardent wishes of my better half for such a vehicle, there is no chance whatsoever of this household ever acquiring one. The reason my underwear stayed dry on that ride was lack of fluids taken in before. Also, for a car of that size and weight, the mileage is awful. The ride was OK, but sitting right on top of the road with nothing in front and a maniac* driving, was no fun.
*Sorry, Frank, no offense, I wasn't too awake, I think. The surprised look on your Mother's face made it all worth it, though.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/29/2012 8:43 AM, Han wrote:

Are you drunk? Don't know what you are talking about. Also Mom passed over 30 years ago.
As for car, sounds like my first experience in a VW bug.
email.me:

Sorry to you Frank Logullo <grin>. I thought I was clearly referring to my nephew Frank. I don't think you've met him.
A VW bug (the original) is less scary than the smart car.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/29/2012 2:22 PM, Han wrote:

Wondered why my name came up.
I have no intention of owning a car where the road appears directly in front of me without the benefit of a lot of metal.
Stormin Mormon wrote:
SNIP

Hmmm... better stop at the yellow light. ;)
Maybe only the back car gets a ticket? both get tickets if speeding?
Stormin Mormon wrote:
SNIP

Hmmm... better stop at the yellow light. ;)
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Here's an even easier (to describe) method:
In 1946, gasoline was twenty-cents a gallon; two dimes.
The silver in two 1945 dimes is worth more than enough to purchase a gallon of gas today. Heck, those two dimes would have purchased TWO gallons of gas the day the current administration took office.
--
* 1945 dime=90% silver (2.25 grams). Current price is ~$32/oz. 4.5g = 0.16
oz., so 0.16oz x $32/oz = $5.12.
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

In 1945, a gallon of gas cost twenty cents, two dimes.
Those same two 1945 dimes would buy a gallon of gas today - with some change left over.

Comparing the cost of metals and the cost of gasoline is just not right.
Gold was ~$32/oz then and now is >$1600/oz. Unfortunately, my old gold tooth crown that popped off didn't pay for the tooth repair, nor for much gas.
The only comparison that really counts is how much money you'd earn in equivalent jobs/positions then and now. AFAIK, the price of gasoline is comparatively on the low side.
--
Best regards
Han

That day's already here. The price has risen enough to make the energy-intensive tar sand extraction process economically feasible. Conservation is the only way we're going to be able to stretch out our existing supply of oil. We're still wasting incredible amounts of money in lots of our endeavors. The power required to keep all the cable TV boxes around the nation going is astounding.
http://www.dailytech.com/Study+US+Cable+BoxesDVRs+Fail+at+Energy+Efficiency+/article22007.htm
Box makers say that the cable companies don't pay the electric bills for the boxes, and so demand instant availability over a "wake from sleep" device that could save millions of watts of electricity.
<<According to the study, there are 160 million set-top boxes in the U.S., and this number is increasing. These boxes run 24 hours per day, even when they're not being used. The study found that add-on DVR's use an additional 40 percent more power than the set-top box. The Natural Resources Defense Council found that these boxes consume $3 billion in electricity per year in the U.S., and 66 percent of this power is drained when no one is even using it. Also, one high definition cable box and one high definition DVR use about 446 kilowatt-hours per year, which is 10 percent more than a 21-cubic-foot refrigerator that is energy efficient. >>
More than a big refrigerator.
-- Bobby G.

time for federal regulation to cut power used