How to adjust steel linked watch band (Wenger Swiss Military waterproof)

Page 3 of 6
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

uh- probably at least double the price, IF the jeweler carries wenger, which he may not.
Vanessa wrote:

that person obviously didnt want to be bothered, and blew you off. did you tell them...
"i need a metal watch band adjusted"
or
"i just got this new watch at costco, how much to adjust the band?"
not that its any of their business whether its a 20 year old wenger family heirloom, or a new one from costco.
In searching how to adjust your Costco Wenger Swiss Military watch band, I found these references which may help you out.
http://www.dreamretail.com/RemovingLinks.html and http://www.schlatter.org/watchband.htm
"Remember you have to remove at least 2 pins to remove a link. For more than 1 link, you have to remove evenly from both ends of the bracelet or the buckle will end up in the wrong place - you want the buckle to end up on the flat of your wrist. This is NOT 1/2 way because of anatomy - the top 1/2 needs to be considerably shorter than the bottom. So that is at least 4 pins that need to come out and then 2 to be driven back in."
These work for other watches, but I didn't find any references to the tool that is actually needed for your watch.
SoCalMike wrote:

Where can I get a tool to OPEN THE BACK of the watch?
I recently took my watch to a local jewelry store who quoted $8 dollars to adjust the steel band but who actually charged me $16 dollars because it was 8 dollars PER SIDE! When I asked why, he said he had to take a link out of each side so he charged double the quote!
If I knew that it would cost me that much (half the price of the watch) I would have purchased a kit to do it myself. Does anyone have a good reference for a watch kit that will also open up the back of the watch (it has a six dents equally spaced in the back of the watch for whatever tool goes there).
BTW, the actual links are really a half-round pin, folded over, flat sides touching, so that it looks like a slotted flathead screwdriver on the side it comes out and it looks like a round head on the side you punch but it's really just a half-round doubled over length of metal pin acting like a spring because it's bent over in half.
Now that the band is fixed, I've learned my do-it-yourself lesson the hard way.
But, where can I get a tool to OPEN THE BACK of the watch?
On 18 Jul 2005 00:01:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That 8 bucks a side is a rip off. Those pushpins are generally easy as pie to knock out and back in. 10 bucks(Aussie) would have been a fair price. And you'd be paying for my time(all 3 minutes of it) and my knowledge(we'll assume i'm good at what i do). :)

Here is one that should do the job. It's cheap enough to try. http://www.slarose.com/cgi-bin/slarose/063263
And here are some others. If your budget and interest is big enough, then get the on the top of the page. "Jaxa Swiss" is the pro's choice. http://www.ofrei.com/page557.html
Have fun.
--

Regards, Frank

Well, we finally adjusted the Wenger Swiss Military watch band!
After googling & froogling for "watch band link remover adjustment", we realized for ten to twenty bucks we could buy the needed metal watch band link adjustment tool.
I also stopped off at another jeweler who said he'd adjust the watch band for fifteen bucks which was more than some of the tools so I respectfully declined.
We ended up pushing the pins out with a bent steel pin and removing a link on each side by removing four pins total and putting back two of them. Leftovers were two links and two cotter pins as shown in the photos I just hosted here
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8283/watcha5pr.jpg and here
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6603/watchb3dk.jpg
Notice the link is actually two pieces of metal bent together as mentioned by someone in this thread previously.
If anyone wants me to, I can measure the diameter of the pin with a micrometer that the boys at work have if you need that data. The hardest part my son said was he kept losing the pins on the garage floor and it took him a while to find a thin enough pin pushing tool - he eventually used what is shown in the photos.
VCS
<snip>

Yep, they are quite common and are easy to remove as long as you do have a small and hard enough pin. When i say pin, it should be a flat top punch. Pins will just damage the band's pin and it may never come out.
Here are some band tools if anyone else is in need: http://www.ofrei.com/page237.html As you say for 15 or so bucks there are a few there, which will tackle your band quite nicely.

An old ground flat 0.70-.80 screwdriver does wonderfully well.. :-)
--

Regards, Frank

Frank Adam wrote:

Q: Which of the tools removes the Rolex Oyster Perpetual back cover?
Fifteen years ago I bought a second-hand steel/gold Rolex Oyster Perpetual (pre sapphire crystal) date adjust watch (just the numers, not the day of the week) for about $1800 if I remember correctly.

replacement, watch band deterioration, and winding battery-less watches; so, from that standpoint, it was a bargain in that this watch is self winding, the gold/steel band is practically indestructable, and, of course, no batteries!
However, the first "adjustment" cost $300; the first major overhaul cost $800, and now it's broken again (my kids dropped it on the cement and it stopped working instantly). So, from a frugality & reliablity standpoint, this watch has been a bust (it's just sitting in my "things to fix" drawer).
I'm done taking it to a watchsmith (see why above). Now I just want to see if I can visually see what is broken inside. Maybe it's something simple that I can get fixed for less than $800.
Therefore, I just want to take off the back plate, Q: Which of the tools would you recommend to open the Rolex Oyster Perpetual?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U35D3137B
Opens 'em right up.
Scott wrote:

And, Rusty, when you're finished with your DIY repair, I'll give you $100 for the watch.
--
Noah

<And, Rusty, when you're finished with your DIY repair, I'll give you <$100 for the watch.
Honest Noah ?!?
Noah Little wrote:

you are being generous :)
would not give him $5 after he has finished with it.

How much is the scrap value?
Scott wrote:

for the raw materials not much unless there is some gold in the case or movement, for undamaged secondhand parts you would make a bit back, but you would have to cover stripping out the parts, id them, pack and post, sell them on ebay :)

In other words, less than the 10k price for new.
But, we who dont need a 10k watch already knew.
Scott wrote:

the cost of materials is nothing, why it annoyed me during the 70s when gold went through the roof that people were scraping gold pocket watches for the sake of a few grams of gold, many fine and compicated watches were lost during that time.
wrote in message

I am a machninst by trade, and fully appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a Rolex.
At the same time I realize that Rolex trades in a name and a brand that rich people think put feathers in their hat.
It is a very inportant issue to have the image a Rolex on your wrist (Chinese rip off or otherwise) to many people, becuase they feel they have rub their wealt up against others with wealth.
It can be the biggest chunk of shit ever made, but what sells it is the perception of exclusivity.
After all, only the elite and wealthy can afford and appreciate a ten thousand dollar watch, that is an overpriced chunk of shit.
Scott wrote:

Hi Scott,
I see you normally hang out on rec.scuba so you probably wouldn't think of wearing a Rolex watch because you need other features in a diving watch, which I can agree with. But, I do think your concerns deserve addressing.
First off, this water resistant Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust chronometer was no where near ten thousand dollars in cost. That may be the case (even more actually) for a gold Rolex; but this DateJust is stainless steel and gold and it only cost me about $1800, used (more than a decade ago). Since it's working again, polished up, I could probably get that much for it (based in input I see today) on the open market, so, at least it held its value (albeit not above inflation) in the intervening years.
Why would anyone buy a two thousand dollar watch is still a valid question.
Did you ever buy something just because it was well made? Did you ever buy something to last forever (your lifetime as the measure)? Did you ever buy something because you thought it would be maintenance free?
If not, you'll never understand why anyone could pay thousands of dollars for a watch when a ten dollar Casio tells time better. For that matter, why buy a forty thousand dollar Bimmer or a seventeen thousand dollar Beemer when a twenty thousand dollar Chevy gets you from point a to point b just as fast.
Now, in my case, the "illusion" of maintenance free was a farce (as it cost me over $1100 in repairs alone already) - but the other two concerns (well made and it should last forever, with maintenance) still seem valid to me at this time.
This is a well made watch. Probably just as well made as that $2500 rubber-banded analog Tag Heuer 2000 Aquagraph or Bell & Ross Hydromax you wear yourself when diving today.
RD

How about a used Mazda truck that cost $1,000, and gets 28 MPG?

Which is the hook.

I have a Rolex. A gold Oyster Perpetual.
It was given to me by the gent who owned the 61' Swan I crewed.
(If you want to know what hell is, just change the starter on the Volvo Penta diesel that the Swan was built around. I swear they must have suspended that engine magnetically and built the boat around it.)
It doesn't work. It's a piece of junk. But its purty.
I have an UWATEC bottom timer for diving.
I am a machinist by trade, so I don't wear watches or any other jewelry; potentially bad for the limbs.
Scott wrote:

Hi, Rolex is used car sales man's favourite. Won't even make onto the list of 10 best watches in the world. There are many other fine watches. Not going too high, I like IWC. Tony