How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and what do I look for by way of value?

Page 2 of 4
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:35:42 -0500, Don Phillipson wrote:

I have a perennial subscription to CR, so, I should check it.
I hadn't even thought of doing that, mostly because, lately, I've been disillusioned by Consumers Union.
1. They often test models that I can't find in the store 2. They often test for ridiculous things (like motorcycle engine noise) 3. They often don't test what I need to buy (like pasta makers)
It's amazing what they "care" about sometimes, almost as if every single person who reads their magazine is a prius-loving sun worshipper and not a well balanced practical person.
However, I can't say how well or poorly they tested beds, so, I'll look right now, and let you know, since I have the automatically renewing subscription anyway.
On 12/29/2014 1:36 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

I gave up on them many years ago. What they saw as a defect, I often saw as a feature.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 22:12:11 -0600, philo wrote:

It seems that these are the comparisons for a Queen sized set.
Sealy Posturepedic Gel Series AP 704-coil Cushion Firm Mattress Set: http://www.sealy.com/mattresses/sealy-posturepedic/gel-series.html
Mattress Factory $900 https://www.themattressfactoryinc.com/pd.309.3725/4/sealy-posturepedic-gel-series-cushion-firm-euro-pillow-top
Sleeptrain $800 http://www.sleeptrain.com/sealy-posturepedic-gel-series-ap-704-cushion-firm-mattress-502488.html
FindnSave $700 http://www.findnsave.com/offer/Newfield-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress-Set/37209882
Costco $600 http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress.product.100085538.html
Don Phillipson wrote, on Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:35:42 -0500:

They updated their mattress buying guide in December 2014.
Overview: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mattresses.htm
Ratings: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/bed-bath/mattresses/mattress-ratings/ratings-overview.htm
Recommendations: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/bed-bath/mattresses/mattress-recommendations/mattress.htm
Buying Guide: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/mattresses/buying-guide.htm
On price, they summarize by saying "But even if you desperately want the whole thing over, say thanks anyway and head for the door. You won’t make it." http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/12/when-is-a-mattress-sale-not-a-mattress-sale/index.htm
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 08:25:56 -0500, Paul wrote:

The question was of quality, materials, cost, and location. For a guest room bed.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 07:07:24 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

I read the whole CR article. It pretty much sucked, as I had expected.
They only tested a handful of mattresses, which, of course, doesn't include the one I bought or the one which I was comparing it to.
They did describe the sleazy mattress selling process, in that they on purpose confuse the buyer, and they said, more than a few times, that you should pay roughly about half what the asking price is.
They did objectively measure the firmness, and found that almost zero of the tested mattresses corresponded to what the marketing people said it would be like, so they said any manufacturer indication of firmness was totally useless.
They also objectively measured wear (with a huge roller going over the bed 30,000 times), but again, all that great testing is useless when I can't find the mattress they've tested in the stores.
They said a box spring is a box spring is a box spring, and even suggested re-using an old box spring instead of buying a new one (they called it the "foundation").
They did say you never know a bed until you sleep in it, but, in the store, the best you can do is lay it for at least 15 minutes, which, they said, kind of pretty much sort of roughly corresponds to sleeping overnight (with a huge margin of error, based on their surveys).
They also said the number of coils don't matter.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 09:28:40 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

I never used the term "top quality", and, anyway, that your suggestion of buying top quality is not at all the same thing as "understanding quality".
One is an object. The other is a process of making a decision.
I've made my decision. I hope it was the right one under the circumstances. The CR thread was helpful in that it pretty much said what I had thought all along, which is that a mattress is a mattress is a mattress unless you can actually test it overnight and with their 30,000 roller press (which you can't).
Box springs make the bed higher than I like.
Don't overlook the traditional bed slat solution:
http://www.bhg.com/shop/bedroom/bed-slats-s.html
Lots of choices available.
When we lived in Europe these were called Lattenroste. We're still using the ones we brought back.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 09:34:05 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Maybe.
If I was looking at a Picasso painting, then I would have to agree.
But, if I was looking at a block of wood for a stated purpose, I'm sure the number of knots, the cracks, the hardness, etc, would all be part of a simple quality metric.
Same with beds. There are simple quality metrics, but not many.
It turns out that buying a mattress is pretty easy, since you can't reliably test them for comfort anyway (CR had lackluster results with 1/4 of the people who lay on them for 15 minutes in the store).
Sure, you can kick the tires (ie bounce on the bed a few times), but that won't tell you all that much, and, CR showed that the manufacturers' designation of firmness was totally useless (they tested it objectively with a foot-wide yellow circular press).
Anyway, I already bought it, so, it will arrive today. Thanks for all the advice.
While I was at the store, getting mine for 1/2 the listed price, a guy came in, bounced on a few beds, and picked one, and paid full price (three times what I paid). The other salesperson gave him the upsell, and, Wow. He bought it all! Some people have a lot of money to spend!

I agree. I want standard queen-sized sheets to fit. So, I opted for a normal thickness mattress, which the manufacturer qualified as "cushion firm", but who knows how firm it really is.

I liked the advice from the saleslady that you can always make a bed softer but you can't make it firmer. So I opted for the "cushion firm", which, as CR stated, means nothing (but it doesn't have extra layers of foam on top of gel on top of foam, etc).
I googled for prices and it seems I couldn't find the price I paid anywhere so, at least I didn't get badly ripped off.
The mattress I bought was the "Sealy Posturepedic AP 704 Cushion Firm" which has 704 coils (at the time, I had thought that coil count matters but CR said it didn't matter at all).
On 12/29/2014 10:11 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

I would argue that coil count does matter, especially if it is a softer mattress....logic tells me that it will conform to one's shape better than matt. with fewer coils.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:44:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree. It's all set up now. And it is just about the right height!
Total cost was just under $700. $600 Sealy Posturepedic AP 704 Cushion Firm Mattress & box spring $ 50 sales tax $ 40 bed frame $ 0 delivery
Of course, now I have to learn how to buy sheets. I think I'll go with nothing less than 400 thread count at Bed Bath & Beyond.
On 12/29/2014 3:21 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Good start. In the winter, we like Jersey sheets. Even WalMart has them at reasonable price. There are some nice microfiber sheets too. Good prices at Amazon and Overstock.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:46:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I also used to learn from CR years ago, but lately what they test I can't buy or I don't care about their "green"ness ideals.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 15:58:20 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Saw some at Costco today, that said they were *equivalent* to 800 thread count but they were microfiber polyester.
Anyone have any experience with those?
On 12/31/2014 12:28 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Not sure if it is exactly the same, but we do have a couple of microfiber sheet sets. Very nice, soft and absorbent.
Howard Schornstein posted for all of us...

I bought a Tempur-Pedic from Mattress factory. I will never buy from them again.
--
Tekkie

On 12/27/2014 06:15 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about the money and get a good one. Personally, I need a firm one so I don't get back aches.
On 12/27/2014 7:15 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Sounds like a fair price it is is a decent set. Cosco usually has good value.
I'd avoid department stores and I'd check the reputation of any mattress shops. Some are not so good.
Our last buys were from www.mybobs.com if you live in the area they serve, check them out. As I type this. I'm laying on my Power Bob with memory foam maytress. Very comfortable and easy to watch TV or type on a laptop on my belly.

I bought a Sealy at sears. Was about $600 on sale. The problem with new mattresses is overuse of foam. The foam settles forming a valley. The mattress really gave off a lot of gasses for a few months. Had to run an air cleaner. I bought a mattress at a discount store for a little less. I was happier with that mattress. I would never buy one without trying it out at the store.
Greg

For what it's worth, here is the company making my other mattress. The local discount store, closed, DFW. This other mattress did not stink like the sealy.
http://www.carolinamattressguild.com/
Greg