How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and what do I look for by way of value?

I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.

Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.

Is that a good price?

The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mattress can't be flipped over (it has the cloth only on one side).

I've never had a "comfort" problem with a mattress, so, that's not an issue (nor with a chair, couch, etc). So, I'm not worried about comfort.

I'm just asking about value.

Any advice? (again, forget the comfort part, as I'm currently sleeping on the floor and I don't mind that at all but I have guests staying for a month so I want to look like I sleep in a bed and so that they can use the bed themselves).

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Here's the spec on the thing.

I'm not asking about comfort as that depends on each person (and for me, it will never ever be a problem anyway).

I'm asking about value. Is $600 a good value for what it is?

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Since you only buy one every 25 years might as well not worry about the money and get a good one. Personally, I need a firm one so I don't get back aches.

Reply to
philo

But, what is a good one? Again, comfort isn't the issue with me. It's just quality and value that I care about.

Where do you buy them anyway? Sears? Macys? Costco? Mattress Discounters?

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Sounds like a fair price it is is a decent set. Cosco usually has good value.

I'd avoid department stores and I'd check the reputation of any mattress shops. Some are not so good.

Our last buys were from

if you live in the area they serve, check them out. As I type this. I'm laying on my Power Bob with memory foam maytress. Very comfortable and easy to watch TV or type on a laptop on my belly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That Sealy at Costco is probably pretty good

Reply to
philo

I bought a Sealy at sears. Was about $600 on sale. The problem with new mattresses is overuse of foam. The foam settles forming a valley. The mattress really gave off a lot of gasses for a few months. Had to run an air cleaner. I bought a mattress at a discount store for a little less. I was happier with that mattress. I would never buy one without trying it out at the store.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

$600 is low end if its a pillow top. But frankly, buying a mattress on name alone is foolhardy, you may get lucky, you may not.

'The Mattress Factory' (all USA made) has pretty good prices. We just bought a queen sized set from there yesterday and paid $650~ for mattress, box springs, tax, delivery and disposal of the old set. That is the only place we found locally that carry non-pillow top mattresses.

I prefer the old style that you can flip over every 6 months or so as most pillow tops can't be flipped over. Pillow tops are generally much thicker than non-pillow tops, more likely to take a set (permanent body depression) and after all - thicker is no guarantee of more comfortable. The set we have currently has all those bad things plus was so tall that I had to replace the frame with a low rider because our feet literally didn't touch the floor when sitting on it! The wife didn't appreciate having to jump to get on the bed. :)

The most important part in my opinion:

A store that deals only in what you are looking for should carry a wide selection and many more models on display to *try out*.

John

Reply to
John

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress; just sleep on the floor.

Reply to
Norminn

He does , he said above the mattress is for guests .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The problem is with subjective versus objective answers.

I'm looking for an objective answer. Price. Quality. Location.

I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that everyone defines "their" comfort differently.

I have never had a bad night's sleep in my life, other than when I'm ill or injured. I can sleep through an earthquake. Loud music never bothered me. I can sleep in a barracks as easily as I can sleep on the floor.

If I asked for a subjective measurement, such as comfort, I'd get garbage. Utter garbage as advice.

Why?

Because people are VASTLY different when it comes to their subjective assessment of comfort. Any bed is comfortable, and every bed is comfortable, to me, but not to you.

Yet, QUALITY and PRICE and STORE is objective.

If I asked for subjective answers, we'd get absolutely nowhere in this thread. It's not the right forum nor the right people to assess comfort.

But it is the right forum, I hope, and people, I hope, to assess price and quality and location.

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Also, comfort is too subjective.

If I asked for comfort, it's like asking for which girlfriend you like. They all do the same thing, differently.

But, if I asked for specific height, or cost, or location, then we could get somewhere.

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Was that the mattress only? Or the combination with the box spring as shown with the prospective Costco purchase?

Where is the "foam"? I presume it's "under" the cloth? What else do they use if it's not foam, for the softness?

While there's nothing wrong with taking a car or a girlfriend out for a test drive, you never can test a mattress just by "kicking the tires". Essentially, you can't test a mattress for comfort, at least not realistically, without actually sleeping in it overnight or even for a few nights.

So I'd rather stick to objectives I can "measure" with math.

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Now we're getting somewhere objective and measurable!

What I just want is good value. Good materials (within that value cost restriction). And to buy at the right store (for value).

Non pillow top mattress? Now we're getting somewhere.

What's the difference between a "pillow top" mattress, and a non pillow top mattress?

Googling, I see there is "plush" and there is "pillow top".

I wonder what type the Costco one is?

The Costco one says it's "firm", which seems to be the third type. But, since it can't be flipped, it might be "plush", which is a negative, since you can't even out wear.

I agree with you. You get "twice" the wear out of a flippable mattress. Maybe I won't get the Costco after all. That means I have to quickly look elsewhere.

That's also bad. I want the mattress that fits the most bedsheets.

Seems to me that it's impossible to "try out" a mattress without actually sleeping on it overnight. Otherwise, it's like kicking tires.

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

We bought our last set thru my then-boss's wife , who is/was a buyer for a hotel/motel chain . It has labels for a four-way flip "this label up and at the foot for jan-feb-mar" etc . Can't remember what we paid but got it at a discount over retail . Look for a hotel supply place ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

By trying it out I mean sit and lay on it, your body will will tell you if its comfortable.

No they probably wont let you sleep there - LMAO

If you can't turn the Costco model over its either a pillow top or cheap junk.

You are buying a 'pig in a poke' the way you are going at it. But then again, as you said, you don't use it so who cares. Just buy a blowup and throw it on the floor, that way you can get rid of the useless furniture.

John

Reply to
John

I like that idea because they care about cost and quality.

Reply to
Howard Schornstein

Have a look at Consumer Reports magazine, collected by most good public libraries. Its latest article on beds included good advice how to evaluate them in the store.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

The one thing about the mattress business is that no matter where you buy it or which brand you buy, you cannot compare them. Every manufacturer that makes them puts different SKU- model number, etc depending on who it shipped to. The Serta X at Costco might be the same as the Serta Z at Sams. This has been an industry standard for years. So if you like the mattress and the price, buy it.

Reply to
ChairMan

| I'm looking for an objective answer. | Price. | Quality. | Location. | | I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they | are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that | everyone defines "their" comfort differently. |

I don't think that's entirely true. Everyone has a human body. People vary in their physical ailments, but the mechanics of the body is the same for everyone.

I've had back trouble in the past (from a slight lordosis) and need a firm mattress. I also find that with age my bones increasingly get sore just from the weight of lying on them. Yet I've been very happy with a medium-firm foam rubber mattress, 4" thick. (The firm is too firm.) I think it was something like $170 at a store that specifically deals only in foam rubber. You can also buy them online. Unfortunately, if there's a technical designation for that exact foam I don't know what it is. (There seems to be a distinction between cheap, soft foam rubber and the kind of high-density stuff used for mattresses.)

For the sake of anyone reading this who does care about comfort and/or spinal health, I would just mention that I think "memory foam" is a grossly overpriced gimmick and actually rather uncomfortable. In summer it's too hot because one's body sinks into it. In general it's too hard. While it does mold to one's body, to some extent, the result is only that one's whole body feels equally pressed on. A good inner spring mattress, by contrast, makes me feel like I'm floating on top.

If money were no object I'd buy the best inner spring mattress I could find. But I find the foam pad perfectly adequate. So, for your needs, I'd say don't waste your money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one out. Failing that, buy foam. And if you decide later that you do care about the feel of it, it can be easily adjusted by adding a softer or firmer 1" or 2" pad on top of the 4" pad.

Reply to
Mayayana