How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and what do I look for by way of value?

Page 1 of 4
I buy a mattress/boxspring about once every 25 years, so, I really don't know what to look for, or where to buy them.
Costco has, in the warehouse, for $600, a Sealy Posturepedic Newfield Queen mattress and box spring set.
Is that a good price?
The only thing I didn't like about it is that the mattress can't be flipped over (it has the cloth only on one side).
I've never had a "comfort" problem with a mattress, so, that's not an issue (nor with a chair, couch, etc). So, I'm not worried about comfort.
I'm just asking about value.
Any advice? (again, forget the comfort part, as I'm currently sleeping on the floor and I don't mind that at all but I have guests staying for a month so I want to look like I sleep in a bed and so that they can use the bed themselves).
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:15:59 -0600, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Here's the spec on the thing. http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress-Set.product.100085540.html
I'm not asking about comfort as that depends on each person (and for me, it will never ever be a problem anyway).
I'm asking about value. Is $600 a good value for what it is?
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:19:13 -0600, philo wrote:

But, what is a good one? Again, comfort isn't the issue with me. It's just quality and value that I care about.
Where do you buy them anyway? Sears? Macys? Costco? Mattress Discounters?
On 12/27/2014 06:54 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

That Sealy at Costco is probably pretty good
On 12/27/2014 7:54 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Comfort isn't the issue? Why bother buying a mattress; just sleep on the floor.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:51:09 -0500, Norminn wrote:

The problem is with subjective versus objective answers.
I'm looking for an objective answer. Price. Quality. Location.
I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that everyone defines "their" comfort differently.
I have never had a bad night's sleep in my life, other than when I'm ill or injured. I can sleep through an earthquake. Loud music never bothered me. I can sleep in a barracks as easily as I can sleep on the floor.
If I asked for a subjective measurement, such as comfort, I'd get garbage. Utter garbage as advice.
Why?
Because people are VASTLY different when it comes to their subjective assessment of comfort. Any bed is comfortable, and every bed is comfortable, to me, but not to you.
Yet, QUALITY and PRICE and STORE is objective.
If I asked for subjective answers, we'd get absolutely nowhere in this thread. It's not the right forum nor the right people to assess comfort.
But it is the right forum, I hope, and people, I hope, to assess price and quality and location.
On 12/28/2014 8:57 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

I was teasing, but, while we're at it I would argue that quality is just about as subjective as comfort.....
We bought a queen set 2 yrs ago at local furniture store, one of two independent stores in our town. $700+. Both stores are locally owned, in business for many years, and have large selections of mattresses. One issue with them is that they are the thickest (and cheapest) at this store, and wrestling fitted sheets onto them isn't easy. I avoid foam because I want as much air flow as possible.
If you are shopping mainly for visitors, I would consider their ages, weight (generally...go firmer for heavier people) and any conditions like arthritis. Firm mattress (for back) with some soft covering (bony people or very thin need some padding). Inner spring is my ideal, just out of habit and history.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:50:01 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

Also, comfort is too subjective.
If I asked for comfort, it's like asking for which girlfriend you like. They all do the same thing, differently.
But, if I asked for specific height, or cost, or location, then we could get somewhere.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:57:32 -0600, Howard Schornstein

Price and quality are pretty easy. If the mattress is well made, you shouldn't feel the springs, and the material covering it should look good. You pay what you pay. I bought my full-size 23 years ago, and it's just starting to sag at the edge where I sit to get dressed. Paid about $300 cash with box spring, rails and headboard. No idea of brand, though it has a label. and AFAIC it's not worth looking at brands. Location is up to you. Got mine at a no-name place on Milwaukee Ave in Chicago that sold second hand furniture. They had new mattresses in a back room. Find a place with light overhead for the best price. They delivered free. I picked a heavy, hard one and never regretted it.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:39:56 -0800, Oren wrote:

I went to the mattress store on the way to costco today and wondered the same thing about cooties in _those_ well worn beds!
http://i58.tinypic.com/25sa7ix.jpg
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:49:49 -0800, Oren wrote:

I snapped a picture of my _old_ bed, which is just fine, and which must be something like 20 years old, and I have absolutely no problem with it.
http://i61.tinypic.com/33u8n13.jpg
On thing I learned that nobody told me was that no bed, nowadays, according to the sales person, is double sided. Too bad. That means you get only half the wear (although he insisted it's better to have only one side).
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:55:31 -0800, Oren wrote:

I've stayed at probably five hundred hotels in my life, and I've never had a bad bed in any one of them, around the world.
A bed is a bed is a bed is a bed.
Some people love to complain, and, I guess, I feel sorry for those who can't sleep under a rocky outcrop. Like you, I've done my time, and I can sleep in a hole in the ground as long as I can figure out how to drain the water so that I'm not soaking wet the entire time.
A bed is a luxury item.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:00:24 -0600, ChairMan wrote:

I have to agree with you that the mattress industry is odd.
Today, I went to Mattress Discounters, and told them about the $600 Costco SealyPosturepedic Newfield Cushion Firm Queen Mattress Set: http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress.product.100085538.html
The Mattress Discounters saleswoman said their $1,100 Sealy Posturepedic "AP 704 Cushion Firm Set" was an equivalent mattress.
http://i60.tinypic.com/i6e0pd.jpg
I thanked her and walked toward the door (because the costco price was $500 less for the same thing, not to mention almost $50 difference in sales tax alone).
http://i57.tinypic.com/20sf4us.jpg
You know what she did?
She practically chased me to the door, and said she'd give it to me for the exact same price as (what she said was) the Costco equivalent.
Basically, she dropped the price almost in half on the spot!
It seems mattress stores are as bad as automobile dealerships and jewelry stores, when it comes to setting asking prices!
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:29:02 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

I didn't snap a picture of it, but nobody told me that there are two kinds of inner springs.
The Mattress Discounter staff had cutaway models which showed the difference eloquently.
The older type, which I liked better, is all interlinked chromed metal, while the newer type (called "APEX" coils in Sealyposturepedic land) were round coils encased in cloth.
Despite the fact the saleswoman extolled the virtues of the newer type, I told her I suspect it's just a way to make things cheaper, since the cloth-connected circular coils would clearly be easier to manufacture than all metal links.
Anyway, she told me that the NUMBER of coils matter, when you can get them from about 500 to about 800. The bed she pointed me to had something like 700 coils (IIRC) but I need to check.
So, apparently, for "sagging" reasons (which is a quality issue), the discrete number of coils (and the type) make a difference when buying a mattress.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:48:05 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

It's not that I don't "care" about comfort.
It's just that YOUR idea of comfort will be totally different than Oren's idea of comfort which will be totally different than Mayayana's idea of comfort which will be totally different than ChairMan's idea of comfort which will be totally different than Ed Pawlowski's idea of comfort, etc.
Scientifically, unless we run a statistically valid sampling of comfort, it would be a total WASTE OF TIME to ask about comfort in this ng.
This ng is valuable. But not for subjective things. It's much better for OBJECTIVE things. Like QUALITY. Or PRICE. Or what to look out for.
I wish, for example, people had told me about the number of coils, and the types of coils, and their experience with the two different type.
I wish also that someone had informed me that no bed nowadays is reversible. Or that the box spring comes in two sizes which are four inches different in height. Or that the pillow-top beds require different sheets than standard. Or that Mattress Discounters will halve the listed price on their beds.
That is the kind of PRACTICAL information I was looking for!
A waveless waterbed gets my vote. Everything else is like sleeping on a cold concrete floor.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:53:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The problem with "trying" a mattress is that you need to sleep on the thing overnight to really "try" it.
Sure, everyone "says" to lie on it for 15 minutes in the store, but, that's like taking a new car on a 5 mile test drive. It's essentially nearly worthless.
Especially since I've slept on at least 500 hotel beds in my life, and I've never had a problem with a single one of them.

Here is a picture of the three different kinds of "toppings": firm, plush, and pillow
http://i62.tinypic.com/2eav3pg.jpg
I kind of agreed with the saleswoman, who said that you can always make a mattress topping softer, but you can't make it firmer, so, you should err on the side of firmness, she said.
Anyway, the pillow made the thing too big for a typical sheet, and I didn't feel any difference between the three anyway, when I lay on them, and, besides, the Costco equivalent was firm, so, I saw no advantage whatsoever of the plush and pillow over firm.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:58:48 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

The saleswoman did say that the newer style (cheaper, if you ask me) coil springs sag more at the edges, because they're not supported, compared to the older style interlocking wires.
Nobody told me though, that there are TWO different box spring standard sizes!
http://i59.tinypic.com/263y9v5.jpg
Since there isn't a functional difference, nor a price nor quality difference between them (other than 4 inches), I flipped a coin and went with the smaller size.
On 12/29/2014 1:29 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Probably a good decision. If you are 5'4" or less, you may find it difficult to get up onto the taller bed. OTOH, if you are taller, it is still easy to get on to the lower bed.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 00:20:02 -0600, Howard Schornstein wrote:

Here's the difference in box spring height.
http://i59.tinypic.com/263y9v5.jpg