How many gallons of gasoline would it take to charge an iPhone?

Page 2 of 3
On 6/23/2012 12:51 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

not a democrat. But pretty much true what you said other than that. This whole craze of having to have the internet in your hand is just bullshit.
--
Steve Barker
Not much. The battery in my LG flip phone (just looked) is 3.7v, 1000 mAh.

You *sure* sound like one.

Again, because you don't want it, no one else should be able to have it either. How positively Democratic of you.
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:28:58 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Anyone that doesn't think a smart phone is cool just doesn't get it.
Do you need them? No. Are they useful? Hell yes. Are they worth the 50 bucks per month? I don't have one.

Cool? I guess that depends on your definition of "cool".

We didn't, until January. My Internet connection at work is locked down so tightly that it's almost useless. I got a smart phone so I could access the Internet freely (4G is available at my desk). I've since found out just how useful it is. Wouldn't be without out it now ($150/month for two phones with hot spot and 4G access on one).
On 6/22/2012 9:22 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

I think you are right. The now 100 million plus smartphone owners in the US likely didn't get them for the really handy ability to have data connectivity almost everywhere they could be...
On 6/23/2012 9:35 AM, George wrote:

No i'd say most of them got it due to the "look at me" syndrome and don't "need" it at all.
--
Steve Barker

Few "need" a phone at all. What's your point?
On Jun 23, 9:23pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yeah, it's amazing how some folks just know what everyone else needs or should have. It's like bitching about how no one should have a high performance sports car because it only gets 17 miles to the gallon. Meanwhile, many of those sports cars are only driven a few thousand miles a year. And the hippies doing the bitching are driving all over the place in their VW, racking up 30,000 miles a year on their way to the latest Occupy Wall Street sleep over, or whatever....
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:33:42 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It's called "envy". It's the leftist's mental disease.
On 6/23/2012 8:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

that IS my point.
--
Steve Barker

Which is to say you have no point. By the same logic, few "need" HD TV, a meal at a nice restaurant, a trip to the beach or a night at the movies.
On 6/24/2012 11:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

true, and until all those items and services go out of business, I can't say we're having a recession. It's like having someone stand in front of you complaining about being broke with a cigarette hanging out their mouth.
--
Steve Barker

Can you go further off-topic to find irrelevance?

That's OK. Fortunately we're not relying on you to tell us when we're having an economic recession. Any thinking person knows that recessions come and go. And while they may have an impact on some consumer expenditures, they have never resulted in anything close to your silly requirement occuring. For the record, we are not currently even in a recession.
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:01:41 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

As far as we know. Yet. 2% growth is pretty anemic, at this point of a supposed "recovery", though.

Then why waste your typing? People *want* them. Isn't that enough reason?

Agreed. The word "need" is not terribly appropriate for smartphones or guns. The word that counts is "want."

Not so much if I use mine as a WiFi hot spot without a power source.
Proprietary? Is that another word for chemicals?
The main reason batteries are bad on the environment is they are all proprietary.