How many gallons of gasoline would it take to charge an iPhone?

Page 1 of 3
http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2011/12/14/how-many-gallons-of-gasoline-would-it-take-to-charge-an-iphone/?utm_source=paid.outbrain.com&utm_medium=cpc
Cellphones should be made with batteries that pop in and out easily so you can be using one and charging one. You should be able to charge one from of the two USB ports that should be in all cars.
The main reason batteries are bad on the environment is they are all proprietary.

My first cell phone (1992) came with two batteries, and I did exactly what you're suggesting. That second battery was essential: The first one simply didn't last the day; you needed to switch batteries part-way. And that was on a phone which made voice calls and nothing else.
I think there are several reasons why phones no longer come with two batteries: 1) charging options are more numerous than they were in 1992; 2) batteries are better now, and last longer before going dead; 3) supplying only one battery saves the manufacturer money, so they can sell the phone for cheaper.
--
Tegger

On 6/22/2012 7:15 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2011/12/14/how-many-gallons-of-gasoline-would-it-take-to-charge-an-iphone/?utm_source=paid.outbrain.com&utm_medium=cpc
phone will have a removable/replaceable/swappable battery. Your phone may not come with two batteries out of the box but the second one will be pretty cheap. I have two for my Nexus S and found that being able to swap at will was convenient while hiking in England and Scotland -- watching my location on Google Earth saved me from making a couple of wrong turns in the Highlands. Where data service wasn't available I could at least get a GPS fix and watch my location relative to villages along the way using stored maps. I guess that had I been carrying an iDevice that some sort of external power pack or solar panel would be usable but I doubt that it would be as convenient as popping and replacing the battery.

I don't pay the iTax but my phone doesn't have a user replaceable battery, either. If I need more mobile power, I can always get an external battery pack (have thought about it for use as a mobile hot spot).

I see that a replacement battery for my BlackBerry Style 9670 is available near me for $60, not exactly cheap.
--
Tegger

On 6/23/2012 3:11 AM, Tegger wrote:

shipping is free. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Once or twice...

Seven dollars for OE? I found a bunch of aftermarkets for closer to $10 online; OE was a lot more. Where did you find the OE for $7?
--
Tegger

On 6/23/2012 8:29 AM, Tegger wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
11.dc1.easynews.com:

Wow! My local $60 is a ripoff.
But then I'm in Canada, the home of ripoff pricing on account of our high taxes and small market.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

The battery for MY Blackberry 9700 was three dollars and change with shipping included. Check Ebay.

How's $18?
http://www.batteries4less.com/index.php?module=product_view&ptid=1&modidw30&serid 13&manid17&pid'3285&sub=search
On 6/22/2012 7:15 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2011/12/14/how-many-gallons-of-gasoline-would-it-take-to-charge-an-iphone/?utm_source=paid.outbrain.com&utm_medium=cpc
Most other than apple smartphones have a removable battery.
The biggest thing that occurred in the past few years was most of the worlds governments mandating that charger connectors must be universally micro USB. That eliminated having a drawer full of just slightly different non interchangeable charging cables.

When did this happen? I've had three Samsung phones, all with the same size of charging connector, but all with slightly different pinouts so that none of them worked with the others.
My wife's and daughter's iPhones and iPods also seem to have slightly different pinouts from each other, and the charger for one doesn't work on the other.
--
Tegger

My Kindle Fire Tablet (and 2 earlier Kindle models), HTC Incredible smartphone, and Samsung Brightside feature phone all use the micro USB connector for charging. So the word's getting around.

Well, except for Apple which is changing to yet another smaller connector but (of course) a proprietary one...
On 6/23/2012 3:04 AM, Tegger wrote:

production phones in 2011.

Actually, unless I missed something, this is not actually a government mandate. It has come about as cooperation among the cell phone industry, with, in some cases govt standards bodies, depending on the part of the world, then formalizing the agreement. In other words, it's more like USB, ie an industry standard, in most cases voluntary, than it is an act of govt. In the USA for example, I'm unaware of any federal legislation that brought this about.
If there is a law
On 6/22/2012 6:15 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.exxonmobilperspectives.com/2011/12/14/how-many-gallons-of-gasoline-would-it-take-to-charge-an-iphone/?utm_source=paid.outbrain.com&utm_medium=cpc
just put it on the cord at night. Even the junkiest phone made will go all day. I should know. i have that phone.
--
Steve Barker
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:41:03 -0500, Steve Barker

Depends on how big a data hog you are. Mine didn't last the day. But I just invested in a triple capacity battery to solve the problem.
On 6/22/2012 8:09 PM, AJL wrote:

i have a computer for the data needs. I certainly don't need that shit whilst I'm out and about.
--
Steve Barker

You don't, so no one does. How positively Democratic of you.